Site outage happening too frequently here

Has anyone else experienced the same situation with their sites hosted at dreamhost? My shared server goes down at least twice a day. It’s getting to be ridiculous. By the time, tech supports gets to the issue, it’s too late.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Jack
www.sweettoothcare.com

Yep. and guess what? NO REFUNDS!

FYI, to anyone else considering cancelling their account on “DreamHost”. I was just informed that they don’t give refunds after 30 days. (I paid for 12 months, again).

Here is the text of the message:

---- snip—

[quote]How long will it take to have my money refunded back to my CC, from the
time I notify DH to cancel my account ?
I paid for 12 months.

[/quote]

We do not issue refunds after the initial 30 days -
we’ll be happy to help you resolve your support issue
though if you can tell us what the Cart creators said.

(I had written support asking a question about installing
OSCommerce and got back the standard DH reply of referring
me somewhere else . . . until I asked for my money back.)
---- snip—

This is after:

• the email outage for 12 hours last week.
  • the mysql problem this week.
  • the webmail problem today.
  • Off and on domain outages.
    (last week ALL my domains were down for at least 4 hours, and support couldn’t tell me why).

In any case, don’t even consider paying annually or you are screwed.

I am considering legal action.
Interested partys can contact me for more information.

webhost@webovision.com

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

• the email outage for 12 hours last week.
  • the mysql problem this week.
  • the webmail problem today.
  • Off and on domain outages.

just FYI, I’ve had the same problems for the last 2 weeks. And they keep sending me emails that these issues were resolved.

I wish they were just up front about what’s going with their servers and networks. I would be much more understanding if they did that.

Jack
store.sweettoothcare.com

Frankly, I think they are way in over their heads, and they won’t admit it.

You guys haven’t been following the data center moves, have you? Things should start to settle down from this week onwards, I’m imagine.

• wil

The problems we are talking about have little to do with the data center move.

Not directly, perhaps, but moving that number of servers from one location to another with only about 4 hours of downtime takes a lot of planning / preparation (and thus time away from our already busy schedules). I do think / hope that things will be settling down soon.

Also, w/r/t support volume, it’s definitely become apparent that the recent high volume of support we’ve been getting isn’t a temporary surge, and we are going to be hiring some new folks in support. We also have some brand spanking new machines, and will probably be balancing out some of the machines that are having problems as much as we’re able. We don’t like unstable machines any more than you do (in fact probably less, because they have such a (negative) impact on our sanity).

It’s been a rough couple of months, with several large (and mostly unrelated) problems, but we’ve certainly had problems before, and I hope we’ll keep learning from our mistakes.

Unfortunatley, while you guys “learn from your mistakes” it costs us all MONEY.

Speaking of which, where is my refund? You guys pulled the plug on all my domains yesterday at about 1pm and I still don’t have my refund. The account page says it was refunded, but then the domains page says 100% uptime . . .
even during the “datacenter move” .

So whats the deal John? I bitch about DreamHost’s crappy, and un-professional service, you pull the plug WITH ZERO NOTICE, then you stiff me for the $450.ooo you owe me.

Very professional. You are going way out of your way to prove my point of what a flakey business you operate.
I’m sure the court will agree. Especially after they read
the forums (I kept all the copies). Talk to you soon.

webov, if it please the court, I think you seem like a little bit of a high strung jackass. You’ve made your choices, you should take your share of the blame. If you have enough money and mental anguish at stake what in the name of all that’s holy are you doing using shared hosting?

As has been said, DH is admittedly having a few glitches right now, they’ll most likely get it ironed out if history is a good indicator.

As far as your refund goes, DH is a class act and they’ll most likely refund your money even though you’ve been a neurotic naysaying doomsday prophet that’s stooped to name calling and personal attacks in their forums.

As for pulling your sites with ZERO NOTICE? Didn’t you ask for a refund and to leave? Take that as a sign that action has been initiated. Could very well be that the amount of hostility in your posts has made you may a security risk. If this were my company you’d not be able to enter your panel either.

From my personal experience over the last 3 or 4 years, this is what you’re leaving for 450 a year besides the packages advertised specifications:

• 99.5+% uptime up until the trouble began a few months ago
• 97% uptime since the trouble began

Sorry to sound like a DH salesman, couldn’t be farther from the truth (at this point in time anyhow) but man, your antics need checkin. Why don’t you weigh the numbers, shop around and either go away, or, stay (and chill out). Hard to stay after you make a giant ass of yourself though.

[color=#0000CC]jason[/color]

LOL! There is always people like you that settle for what they are given. I don’t. I paid good money for service that has degraded to the point of being unreliable. They can admit there are problems all day. If they can’t fix it, its worthless.

All I asked for was a refund for the un-used time.
Had they been “a class act” they would have simply refunded my money so I could move on.

Instead, John chose to let this boil-over into a public fight,
and instead of giving me notice, or the courtesy of waiting until the end of the month (1 whole day) he chose to pull the plug on all my domains, causing the email to bounce, and costing me extra time and money to clean-up the mess,
having to call clients and explain what “DreamHost” did.

I wasn’t notified until AFTER he pulled the plug, and locked me out from all my sites. Class act act huh?

I still have not recieved a refund. So what would YOU do? Kiss their asses some more? You seem pretty good at that.

You bet I am going to court. Not just to recover the money
they haven’t refunded, but to recover lost time and the injury
to my business.

Had you actually read the entire thread, you would know that I WANTED to go away. All I wanted was a refund.
Now it is beyond that.

Next time read the entire thread, then YOU won’t sound like an uninformed moron.

The terms posted on the site say very clearly that the refund policy is only for the first 30 days.

I know they’ve been having some problems lately, but on the whole they’re still a very good host, not like the one I used before, which was nothing but trouble. I plan on staying around for a good long time. (I’ve got enough “Dreamhost Bucks” credited to my account to pay my next year’s hosting fees, which come due in a few days, anyway!)

– Dan

There is always people like you that settle for what they are given.
[color=#0000CC]My slightly more accurate interpretation: I’ve done my homework, understand the terms of service I signed on for and have been here long enough to have a feel for the staff and they way they handle things around here, and generally speaking, I approve. In short, I’ve received what I’ve paid for.[/color]

I don’t.
[color=#0000CC]Clearly. And you go boy.[/color]

I paid good money for service that has degraded to the point of being unreliable. They can admit there are problems all day. If they can’t fix it, its worthless.
[color=#0000CC]Agreed.[/color]

All I asked for was a refund for the un-used time. Had they been “a class act” they would have simply refunded my money so I could move on.
[color=#0000CC]Agreed. It’s been my experience here, that when DH are responsible for a problem, they make it right. I would be shocked if they did not refund your money based on the fact that you’re a fairly new sign up, got here right in the middle of the troubles and experienced some first hand that cost you (even though it’s clearly against the agreement you entered into when signing up). If they don’t take care of their mistakes then you have every right to get mad and take it as far as you like. I can’t help but feeling that your attitude has a huge part to do in the breakdown in communications and service however and I hope you can open your eyes and see that.[/color]

Instead, John chose to let this boil-over into a public fight, and instead of giving me notice, or the courtesy of waiting until the end of the month (1 whole day) he chose to pull the plug on all my domains, causing the email to bounce, and costing me extra time and money to clean-up the mess, having to call clients and explain what “DreamHost” did.
[color=#0000CC]As I alluded to in my previous post, and you’ve proven here again by your own words, you have trouble taking personal responsibility for your actions. You have a responsibility to your clients, they don’t care about your providers, vendors or problems, YOU are their man. Again I suggest you look into another solution besides shared hosting if you have that much at stake. Good luck finding colo or your own datacenter that can provide DH levels of uptime at 450 a year[/color]

I wasn’t notified until AFTER he pulled the plug, and locked me out from all my sites. Class act act huh?
[color=#0000CC]I honestly don’t want to talk to you either.[/color]

I still have not recieved a refund. So what would YOU do? Kiss their asses some more? You seem pretty good at that.
[color=#0000CC]What I would do? I can’t say, all I’ve heard of this is your side of the story and I’m not sure you don’t have real issues with clear thinking. In fact, it’s plain to see that your thinking and actions are ruled by extreme emotion. I’m a good ass kisser? Heh. I wouldn’t categorize myself as a typical hosting forum butt kisser, I’ve seen my share of those when I tried some other hosts. Read my posts man, I’ve done my share of whining, especially lately with the trouble.[/color]

You bet I am going to court. Not just to recover the money they haven’t refunded, but to recover lost time and the injury to my business.
[color=#0000CC]Like I said, I’d be suprised if they didn’t refund your money for the reasons stated above. Like I said, trouble taking responsibility. I know it’s hard to hear that when you’ve come right into a hornet’s nest of trouble, all I’m saying is it’s not always been like that, it’s a localized problem that’s not affecting all users, and I’m sure it will be taken care of, these people are not lazy or stupid.[/color]

Had you actually read the entire thread, you would know that I WANTED to go away. All I wanted was a refund. Now it is beyond that.
[color=#0000CC]Not only did I read the entire thread, I read every thread you’ve posted, that’s why I gave you my assessment of your personality: High strung (freaking out instead of taking care of business) jackass (you’ve made an ass of yourself by freaking out so much around the forums lately). Just observations, not entirely personal like…[/color]

Next time read the entire thread, then YOU won’t sound like an uninformed moron.
[color=#0000CC]mkay. right.[/color]

In truth I’ve experienced the same problems you have with the service lately. The difference is, mine are resolved to my liking (so far, and praying that it continues!) and you’ve lost money, hosting, and hair I’d be willing to bet. I have sites on several different servers here, that’s why I can say with confidence that the issues are localized and not across the board. I had 2 sites that were experiencing the same instabilities and downtimes that you’re complaining of, one was under development and was costing me developer’s time (always seemed to go down in the middle of working in our ‘live’ environment), the other was a personal site on a different machine, the other 11 domains were smooth sailing as usual. Working with support (you know they’ve never failed to get back to me within the advertised 24 hours, EVER.) and through the forum I was able to get the ‘in development’ site moved to another machine and I left the persoanl site alone as it wasn’t costing me anything to leave it lie. The move fixed the critical site (I got an email the next day that the machine I was moved off of was being replaced with a brand new one because of persistant trouble, how ironic) and the site I merely left alone has been doing much better as well, perfect actually, but I don’t get into it much lately either so I wouldn’t know and hesitate to give an emphatic ‘perfect’.

Same situations, polar opposite resolutions. Hmmmm. I’m truly sorry if I offended you with the high strung jackass comment, that was maybe over the top in saying it (it wasn’t meant as a personal attack) but if you can listen and learn from it now that you’ve heard it, maybe it wasn’t such a bad thing to say after all.

your ass kissing, uninformed, no post reading pal,

[color=#0000CC]jason[/color]