Site down

Just got this when I went to check on http://www.sandpoint-directory.com

[quote]Site Temporarily Unavailable
We apologize for the inconvenience. Please contact the webmaster/ tech support immediately to have them rectify this.error id: “bad_httpd_conf”
[/quote]
[url=http://www.zentao.com/]zentao web design,

It is only affecting that domain, not others on the same account.

??!

graphic art and design at www.zentao.com[/url]

zentao7, Gallery of Artists and Speculative Novel Writers Groups

It’s coming up now, at least for me.

As the error message says, contacting tech support usually your best bet for getting an error like this fixed.

I did. Right after I posted. Just thought maybe someone else was having this problem too.

I think I will abstain from posting as I resent the off-handed way that Support answers if I do post here as well.

See ya round.

zentao web design, graphic art and design at www.zentao.com

[quote]I think I will abstain from posting as I resent the off-handed
way that Support answers if I do post here as well.

[/quote]

Our Support team gives you a hard time if you post here as well?

AFAIK, pretty much nobody outside of Will and I even browses much here, but if someone is being unprofessional please let me know and I’ll look into it.

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

I posted the problem here in case someone else had a similar issue happening. It was informational. I immediately sent Support a message. The reply I got was:

[quote]
----- Original Message -----
To: zentao@zentao.com
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2003 10:13 PM
Subject: Reply to your post

will replied to your post at the site: .
http://discussion.dreamhost.com/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=forum_troubleshooting&Number=6011

It’s coming up now, at least for me.

As the error message says, contacting tech support usually your best bet for getting an error like this fixed.

Thanks!
jordan[/quote]
Of course, upon attempting to access the forum, the forum was down…upon which I then emailed support and told them about that as well.

The problem is I never DID find out why SD.com was down, while all the other domains on the same account were just fine. Nor did I find out why a file I have nothing to do with and have nothing of the sort in my account should take one of my busy sites down. Instead, I just got what I consider to be an off the cuff answer interpretted by me as follows: It’s back up. To find out why, go find your answer on the board since you posted there and will answered you. Oh, and by the way, as the error message says, contacting tech support is usually your best bet for getting an error like this fixed, not the forum.

Now, maybe I am just a bit touchy these days in 100+ degree heat, but that just strikes me as a little too off the cuff, considering that I always send my clients to you and have since I came to DH in 1999, and am just about to sign up another client with you guys.

I realize that Support probably considers me a pain in the ass, since I only contact them when I need to, maybe once every couple of months, but…

zentao web design, graphic art and design at www.zentao.com

Thanks for the update. I pulled up your support history, and am reading it now.

I do have some issues with the brevity of the response - while it isn’t always obvious what the cause was after something gets fixed, we should at least indicate whether or not it was on our end or the user’s. Also, I’m not sure if this was apparent, but part of the response was actually a quote of what Will said in this thread (for some reason, “quote” marks weren’t used so it looked like it came from the technician himself).

I think there was some confusion as it appeared - to someone who isn’t as familiar with your posts as I am - that you were asking for support in the discussion forum, and we really do try to discourage that (we’ve had very angry/disappointed people in the past who wondered why they didn’t get any answers).

Posting messages about downtime is fine, of course, as long as you also send us a message (which you did).

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin