Site address when no domain

Hi,
I still don’t have any registered domain name (work in progress).
I have created a new domain on the panel under my user.

how can I access the site without having it’s domin name active?

Probably the easiest way is to add a free dreamhosters.com subdomain and set it to mirror the real domain.

The procedure is outlined in the following wiki article.

http://www.wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/DNS_-_Viewing_site_before_DNS_change

While the article doesn’t refer to your exact circumstances, the procedure is similar.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

10x, but even if that works, I need a MySQL DB which is mapped as mysql.mydomain.com.

I don’t think that it is very comfortable, every time I need this, I’ll have to mirror everything (& manually)

Get the IP numbers for all your servers (www, mysql, mail) from the DH DNS control panel and make an entry into your local “hosts” file (NOT “hosts.sam” as the “.sam” is a designation for sample files). The file on Micro$oft OS is usually C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts - edit this file to contain something like:208.97.160.182 www.yourdomain.com 64.111.109.105 mysql.yourdomain.com…where the IP numbers are the corresponding DH-assigned addresses for the appropriate hosts for your domain name. This’ll make your local machine resolve DNS properly until your domain propagates through the Internet DNS.

Note: It’s a very good idea to remove those entries from your hosts file once DNS has taken effect.

sorry for my rude response, but although I am a program & these tasks are really easy:

a good admin panel should not require as much manual interference as this panel requires…

sorry… :frowning:

[quote]sorry for my rude response, but although I am a program & these tasks are really easy:
a good admin panel should not require as much manual interference as this panel requires…[/quote]
Nothing to do with rudeness or the admin panel, old son: That’s just how the Internet works. If you’re not happy with it, ya can always go back to writing messages on rocks and flinging them in the general direction ya want them to go. :smiley:

look at the “Direct Admin Panel” you can access your site even if you have no DNS or Domain Nam resolved, just by: http:///~username/

without even to have to touch a slise of code, redirection, mirroring or whatsoever…

(there are many other things that must be improved in this panel, to allow better admin)

I’m sorry, but I don’t understand how any of the issues with regard to accessing your site before DNS propagation have anything to do with the Admin Panel DreamHost chooses to use.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

by the simple comparison that with DH there’s a lot to do in order to get it work…
(others have it built-in)

but the http:///~username/ method you mentioned has very little to do with the Admin Panel and more to do with the actual underlying user/file structure that the hosting company has decided to implement.

Mark

OK, maybe ur right, but to achive the same…

I agree, that in this case the method that you listed would make it easier to access your site before DNS propagation, but as I said, this is more to do with the way DreamHost does things behind the scenes.

Overall, I like the way DreamHost has things organised. It can be a pain to setup sometimes, but it does provide a lot of versatility in many areas.

The method netdcon outlined (modifying your hosts file) seems simple enough and would only take a few minutes.

Mark

we’re going a little off-topic, but what I ment was more that only the DNS issue…

this Wiki outlines the process for Transferring domains between registrars.

how can this help me if I still don’t have a domain registered at any other server?

put your content in the directory mydomain.com (under you user). Visit/browse that content by visiting mydomain.dreamhosters.com.

When your “mydomain” is registered and DNS propagates, simply browse to it.

–rlparker

that’s what I did.
but I get a “Server not found”…

For which url? They both need to propagate, but the mydomain.dreamhosters.com should propagate faster. Why don’t you post yuour url(s) here, so we can check on propagation/IP addresses?

–rlparker

both adresses return this error.
I’m sorry for being descrete, but is there a way I could check this propagation/IP addresses?

If mydomain.dreamhosters.com returns a “server not found” error, then it has not yet propagated. I can’t decipher from this thread what might/might be going on with “mydomain.com”.

I suggest you contact Dreamhost support.

–rlparker

mydomain.com” should not work because I haven’t bought it yet…

mydomain.dreamhoster.com” doesn’t work, but “www.mydomain.dreamhoster.com” now works…
is there a way to lose the “www”?