Hey guys,

Apologies, I’m sure this has been asked and answered before, but I did a search and couldn’t find it.

I’m just about to sign up with DreamHost (as they seem to offer, quite literally, everything I could possibly want - except Servlets!) and I’m trying to decide which package to go for.

It’s going to be an L1 package, and obviously the two-year L1 package makes the most sense, financially. However, I’m curious as to whether I can change to a monthly payment plan after the two years are up, or if my only option at that point is to purchase another two years of service (or cancel)?

Obviously if I switched to a monthly plan at that point I’d expect to pay the monthly fee (currently $9.95), but I’d hope I wouldn’t have to pay the setup fee. If I have to do that I might as well just sign up for a monthly package now and have the flexibility to leave with a month’s notice at any point.

Any advice appreciated!

Yes, you can.

For 30% more diskspace, 30% more bandwidth, and $40 off use promo code [color=#CC0000]THEFULLMONTY[/color]

fidgeting.net

Hi Dean,

Thanks - just to clarify, you’re saying both that I can change to a monthly plan at that point, and also that I won’t be charged the $49.95 set-up fee at that time?

Exactly

Actually, I think Dreamhost defaults to monthly payment after your first year, unless you prepay for more than one month.

Essentially what you’re doing right now is prepaying for 24 months and getting a discount because of that. After the first year, you’ll pay month by month.

If you have more questions about billing and such, I’d recommend contacting support, as this is a primarily customer to customer forum:

http://dreamhost.com/contact.cgi

For 30% more diskspace, 30% more bandwidth, and $40 off use promo code [color=#CC0000]THEFULLMONTY[/color]

fidgeting.net

Actually, I want to make an addendum to that: you will be charged the usual monthly fee, not the discounted prepay fee.

fidgeting.net

Thanks Dean - that’s what I’d thought would happen (including paying the normal monthly fee, not the discounted fee) - I just wanted to confirm it!

Always worth checking these things out when something seems slightly too good to be true - but in this case I’m not disappointed.

Your note about this being primarily a customer-to-customer forum appreciated too :slight_smile:

You can switch payment periods at any time via the admin panel by going to Billing -> Manage Account, then clicking Edit for your account. You will not be charged the setup fee when switching to monthly payments as long as your account is older than 97 days. Below is a quote from the relevant section of the panel;

[color=#0000CC]NOTE: If you up/downgrade or change the rebill period:

• there will be no downtime for anything.
  • feature changes happen immediately.
  • your plan’s billing start date changes to today.
  • any pre-payment left over is credited towards the new price.
  • there is no set up fee because this account is older than 97 days![/color]

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Is there a setup fee if the account is younger than 97 days?

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) with [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color] Save [color=#CC0000]$82[/color] get lifetime domain with [color=#CC0000]82CRAZY[/color] Sign Up NOW

I assume the answer to that is yes, given the wording on that panel page, but, as always in these matters, it is best to ask DreamHost themselves for the definitive answer, just to be sure. :slight_smile:

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

thanks for the informaiton mark. :wink:

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) with [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color] Save [color=#CC0000]$82[/color] get lifetime domain with [color=#CC0000]82CRAZY[/color] Sign Up NOW

Thanks all - I e-mailed Dreamhost in the end, not because I doubted you guys, but just because I wanted something in writing from them. They, of course, confirmed everything said here.

I dont blame you, it is always wise to get the info directly from those that make the rules! :slight_smile:

Pay just [color=#CC0000]$22.40[/color] for 1 year Dreamhost hosting, use promo-code [color=#CC0000]MOJO97[/color]
Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] on all 1 and 2 year plans!! (Max saving on monthly plans too!!)