Sigh, Multisite. Server not found

wordpress

I really didn’t want to install multisite because I knew something would go wrong. But I had hope because I installed it before when I used ipage in like 10 minutes and everything was fine no problems at all.

Sadly things are not so simple with dreamhost.

After hours of pain and suffering, searching and trouble shooting, reading outdated support forums and outdated dream host wiki pages (took me forever just to find an FTP and edit htaccess because – anyway) I have to come to forums for help.

I didn’t want to use multisite but a plugin I plan to use requires it. Im using shared hosting for now as I test things out so Im trying to get multisite to work with my subdomain thats mirroring my main site.

I followed all the steps to the best of my ability.

1. created a subdomain using site2.example.com mirror and my main site does not use www does use php5cgi.
  2. disabled plugins, enabled prettylinks
  3. edited config and htacess
  4. installed network

And everything looks fine. I got all the menu options for the network on my wordpress and so I click on add site. I put in site2.example.com, it creates but when I click visit site I get server not found. I don’t know what else to tell ya. I tried being careful in doing everything I had to do so I have no clue where the problem is. I can show you what my config and htaccess file look like but I think I edited correctly despite all the outdated information out there. The only thing I can think of is in site info for the 2nd site ‘path’ is only has a /. Idk what to put there if anything.

Only other thing is this, I did face a separate problem recently where the edits I was making in the web FTP were not showing on my site even after clearing all kinds of cache possible. I finally solved the problem by just saving the file in the wordpress theme editor. The file saved in the webftp, I then found the edited file in wordpress theme editor, when I clicked saved from there it worked. Didn’t change anything, just worked from clicking save in that location instead of the webftp. So yeah that was annoying. Dreamhost conveniently disconnected from the webchat when I asked for help too haha. Love when that happens.

But anyway I don’t know if its the same problem. Any ideas would be great. Again the problem is click visit site / server not found. Its probably something simple I didnt find in any guides. Thank you.

[QUOTE]
but when I click visit site I get server not found.
[/QUOTE]

Have you checked to make sure the DNS for site2.example.com propagated correctly? If not, use https://www.whatsmydns.net/ to check.

We need Ipstenu here because she is the pro on multisites.

However, I can tell you without hesitation that multisites certainly works on DreamHost, as I have 3 different installs of it that have been chugging away for a couple of years now. Each install handles 3 or more different websites.
It takes a little tweaking, but once you figure it out is just works.

A few things:

Have you given enough time for your sub-domain to propagate? Sometimes a new domain or sub-domain can take a while to show up across the internets.

What happens if you just create a new site in WordPress without creating the sub-domain in DreamHost?

Can you give us the domains you are working with?

+++my lecturing++++
[quoite]took me forever just to find an FTP and edit htaccess because --[/quote]
If you plan on having a multisite intall set up, you probably need to get used to getting into your files and doing some manual edits. It will be well worth your time to get a good grasp on doing that before you go much further.

I would go so far as to say that even if you have to spend a day learning this, it will be time well spent:

-connecting to your hosting account via SFTP (not FTP) using a browser or editor (DreamWeaver or Sublime Text2 I suppose if you are using Windows…if you are using Linux then your regular file-browser should be able to connect) Mac you have several lovely alternatives…

-editing and saving files

+++end lecture++++++

Speaking as one of the experts on Multisite, which plugin is this? Even BuddyPress doesn’t require multisite, and if you don’t NEED the extra sites, then the extra work is … pointless.

Check the DNS as LakeRat said. It usually is pretty fast to propagate, though. And what’s the full error? When you get server not found, is it a generic browser error or an error 500?

I did not do that as it was not listed as something to do in any guide that I read. Please feel free to point me to documentation if I am incorrect and it is listed.

According to that site yes you’re right its not propagated correctly. At least that is what I am assuming by all the red X’s. Would you know how to properly propagate? I suppose it should also be noted that clicking dns under my main domain under ‘Non-editable DreamHost DNS records’ gives me 4 more ‘records’ at the bottom. ftp,mysql,ssh,www. Those are not present when I click dns on my subdomain. It is also missing the 3 NS ns1.dreamhost.com records. It does have 4 other records, site2, ftp.site2, ssh.site2, www.site2 with the dreamhost ip next to it. I’d like to ask what to do before messing something up.

One other thing I didn’t think I needed to do was disable cloudfare. I did read to disable plugins but I did not think of couldfare as a plugin. I do have an actual cloudfare plugin, I did disable that, but I did not go on to the website and change anything there. I didn’t sign up for couldfare from dreamhost, I went to the site myself if it makes any difference. Will I have to add my subdomain onto the cloudfare website as well perhaps? Or something.

It’s not listed in any documentation because … well that isn’t actually WordPress :slight_smile: WP can’t document every possible host’s permutation of DNS, after all. In general, though, the explanation about that is here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Before_You_Create_A_Network#Domain-based

What’s your domain? I can go look at your setup here and see if you missed something.

(And I honestly don’t know how CloudFlare would work with this… I THINK that since it ignores wp-admin and you’re using subdomains, it just won’t run on the subdomain, but I’ve never used it with Multisite)

Well I meant it was not listed in any documentation, by anyone. Dreamhost made an attempt to write a walk through, it was not there either. It was though kind enough to point me here so I could bother you guys instead ha ha. My domain is (Redacted at poster’s request) and (redacted at poster’s request). I figured the same as well. That cloudfare would just ignore the subdomain. Thanks for all the help everyone Im reading through your comments now.

Edit
Have you given enough time for your sub-domain to propagate? Sometimes a new domain or sub-domain can take a while to show up across the internets.
Yes, though as mentioned I may be dealing with an unusual caching issue not on my end and the live version is not appearing even if it is there.

What happens if you just create a new site in WordPress without creating the sub-domain in DreamHost?
Good question, let’s find out.
-Server not found-

Can you give us the domains you are working with?
above. And thanks for the reply, I figured it could work. Just knew it would be a terror to setup with dreamhost. Let me tell you about my htaccess Indiana Jones adventure.

Check the DNS as LakeRat said. It usually is pretty fast to propagate, though. And what’s the full error? When you get server not found, is it a generic browser error or an error 500?

Server not found
Firefox can’t find the server at (redacted at poster’s request).
Check the address for typing errors such as ww.example.com instead of www.example.com
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

That is the full page.

Speaking as one of the experts on Multisite, which plugin is this? Even BuddyPress doesn’t require multisite, and if you don’t NEED the extra sites, then the extra work is … pointless.

My overall goal was for users to be able to have one account and two separate buddypress profiles. Seems I can accomplish this with multisite and that plugin. Or at least with multisite. If you know of a simpler way to have two buddypress profiles (with seperate names/profiles/avatars ect) without having users have to make separate accounts that would be great.

Also if it makes any difference, although my main site is without www, when I click visit site of my subdoman www is there for my subdomain. And as I understand it for a mirror you cannot edit this setting. On my network install I believe I chose no www. Don’t know if thats the problem but its another problem as Im pretty sure all my websites settings and directories I suppose and such are without www. Cloudfare had an issue with dreamhost and www. Suppose I can figure that problem out later though.

I worded my comment with the word “correctly” because it seemed like in your narrative was long enough you had been working on it for some period of time, most likely longer than about 4 hours which should have been enough time except in extreme cases.

I’ll leave it to Ipstenu-DH to check further tho since she’s reading here and has more access. It hasn’t happened lately that I’m aware of from posts here, but there have been times dreamhosts namesevers seem to get “stuck” for lack of a better word.

Ok thank you. I will take a nap and check back a bit later. So no rush if you’re checking it out Ipstenu-DH. Thanks alot I know you don’t have to help.

I checked anyway… xD

NS1, NS2, and NS3.dreamhost.com all seem to have the record, but it doesn’t seem to have left dreamhost.

If you get back from your nap and nothing else has happened and all the X’s are still red on whatsmydns.com then open a ticked with support or reply to the one you had before and tell them the DNS seems to not be propagating for (redacted at original poster’s request)

(Redacted at OP’s request) is pointing to CloudFlare for DNS. And I suspect that since you didn’t add that subdomain to CloudFlare, you should change those to ns1.dreamhost.com and ns2.dreamhost.com (unless there’s a wildcard subdomain option in CloudFlare that I don’t know about, which is totally possible).

MultiNetwork BuddyPress… You just had to pick the most complicated of all the BP/WPMS related plugins out there, didn’t you? :slight_smile:

Two BuddyPress profiles with one user account. Wow. So it kind of depends on WHY you need this.

Like you can have multiple accounts with one email: http://wordpress.org/plugins/allow-multiple-accounts/

Or you can use extended profiles to make group specific info show: http://codex.buddypress.org/buddypress-components-and-features/extended-profiles/

But at the end of the day, the real problem here is you will always have ONE profile, according to WP, even in Multisite, so shared information will still be shared, and I don’t know which data in a profile you’re wanting to change up based on … what parameters (I’m guessing groups?)

(Is this you as well? http://buddypress.org/support/topic/muliple-profiles-one-account/ ? )

Hey I have one checkmark now haha. Still alot of red X’s but one checkmark in California somewhere. Progress? Should I still open a ticket? I should probably check cloudfare first for the problem.

Its pointing to CloudFlare for DNS. And I suspect that since you didn’t add that subdomain to CloudFlare, you should change those to ns1.dreamhost.com and ns2.dreamhost.com (unless there’s a wildcard subdomain option in CloudFlare that I don’t know about, which is totally possible).

Good idea. Wait I can’t change anything for a mirror subdomain right? You mean change the main site? After I respond to this message I will try two things. 1. See if I can add the subdomain to cloudfare. 2. If that doesn’t work after a while disable cloudfare all together and use dreamhost nameservers again see what that does.

MultiNetwork BuddyPress… You just had to pick the most complicated of all the BP/WPMS related plugins out there, didn’t you?

Ikr. ~.~

Two BuddyPress profiles with one user account. Wow. So it kind of depends on WHY you need this.

I could explain it all to you. There is a real world magazine attached to the website and there is also an RPG. Having to create two separate accounts would be a pain. Using one profile for both could be pretty awkward. Like using your world of warcraft avatar and profile information on the huffingtonpost.com. Or using your facebook picture kissing your boyfriend on your Jedi character card. Awkwarddd. Social sign in is also enabled on this site. So trying to work around all this without forcing users to sign up for two separate accounts. Maybe an author or photographer wants real world recognition for their work so uses their real name on the magazine. But Harry Sherman isn’t the coolest name for the newest member using the darkside of the force in The Empire. So two buddypress profiles would be grand.

Like you can have multiple accounts with one email: http://wordpress.org/plugins/allow-multiple-accounts/

I did check that out despite it not being updated in two years. I’m not sure if it serves my purpose with the buddypress thing. I’ll read up on it again.

Or you can use extended profiles to make group specific info show: http://codex.buddypress.org/buddypress-c…-profiles/

Same. Though Ill read again to make sure.

But at the end of the day, the real problem here is you will always have ONE profile, according to WP, even in Multisite, so shared information will still be shared, and I don’t know which data in a profile you’re wanting to change up based on … what parameters (I’m guessing groups?)

According to that plugin, and we emailed the developer to make sure and he surprisingly replied back, if you disable sync with the wordpress name in buddypress settings, you will be able to have separate buddypress names and profiles and such under one user. Exactly what I’m looking for. I cannot explain to you how this works, but if it works I’m happy. I haven’t had the chance to test it out as I need multisite to start working beforehand.

(Is this you as well? http://buddypress.org/support/topic/muli...e-account/ ? )
Not me however that is Rukia. Another editor working on this website. Great detective work. There are 5 more of us to find and you will unlock the secret to the world. haha.

I’ll try tinkering with nameservers and cloudfare now and update you after it fails ha.

If you’ve got cloudflare in the picture, I’d remove that.

Ok good news to report. Well good news and meh news.
Seems the problem was cloudfare afterall. I slightly apologize for all my dreamhost criticism. But only slightly.
What exactly happened I’m not sure but Ill tell you what I did.

It seems cloudfare needed some alone time before it would recognize my subdomain. 14 hours or so. Though I could be wrong, maybe its dreamhost that takes 14 hours before they notice your subdomain. (I feel its dh not cloudfare, perhaps one could argue its the combination.) Which whatever is fine if you know you have a wait coming. But the message after creating says 5-10 minutes, so after 10 hours you start thinking the problem is elsewhere. But before with or without the www on the subdomain I would get server not found. But later when I went without the www I would get a cloudfare error page.

So I went into cloudfare and added my subdomain and after a few minutes the site appeared, when I type it without the www. With the www I still get server not found so I’m trying to figure that out now. When I added the subdomain to cloudfare I did it without www so maybe if I add another with it it’ll work or maybe I’ll have to change something else. But for now the site is working as long as I don’t use www, which is still bad so Im trying to fix that now. I changed my main site from ‘remove www’ to ‘leave alone both will work’ (didnt fix it, at least not yet) so Im not sure if that will also apply to my subdomain and it’ll just show up soon or if I should create a new subdomain mirror now that I’ve changed that setting. So trial and error and waiting for now. Ill update in a bit.

Edit
ok adding the subdomain with www in cloudfare didn’t do anything. I don’t really care too much about www but I can foresee an inbox of messages of people saying they cannot access the website because they typed www. I also tried adding another subdomain mirror in dreamhost this time including www, but dreamhost I suppose does not create a separate mirror for the same address with or without www. Okay finally I tried changing the address in wordpress to www, then with and without stopped working, so I switched back to without www in wordpress.

So 90% of the way there. just would like if www would also work if typed into the subdomain. Save me someone.
Only thing I can think of to try last is now that I’ve changed my mainsite from ‘remove www’ to ‘leave alone both will work’ maybe if I create a new subdoman it’ll work with or without. Because my subdomain now is a mirror from when the main site setting was remove www. I would think changing the setting in the main site would still affect the subdomain without having to delete and recreate it but who knows.
Or maybe it’ll be 14 hours again before dreamhost accepts the main site settings change. Or before cloudfare recognizes it.
Or maybe I’m missing the point and you cannot have a multisite 2nd site that starts with www. When installing multisite I believe I remember them telling you to set it so you remove www. But I still think then even with it removed in the setup if you type it in it’ll redirect you. I don’t think the multisite setup meant www wouldn’t work at all.

So 1. Maybe I’m playing the waiting game for dreamhost or cloudfare to notice I’ve changed the main site setting from ‘remove www’ to ‘leave alone both will work’.
Or 2. maybe www doesnt work with subdomains in multisite maybe only with domain mapping you can do that if your separate multisite is like www.example.com. Or maybe subdomains in general don’t work with www.
Or 3. I should delete my subdomain since I created it as a mirror back when the main site setting was remove www and now the subdomain will never ever work with www.

95% there~~

Nevermind. Just as I sent that last message I typed in www and it redirected properly now so everything seems to be working. In the end I think the lesson was 5-10 minutes with dreamhost can mean anywhere between 1-12 hours. But to be fair that may be because of cloudfare.

In that case the lesson is if you are using cloudfare with multisite you have to add the subdomains to cloudfare both www and non www (or at least thats what seemed to work for me) and it may take 1-12 hours before your changes take place. Maybe its dreamhost, maybe its cloudfare, maybe its the combination of the two but thats how long it seemed to take for me. Either way we have all learned something and its been fun working with you all. Thank you for caring and helping. Mission accomplished. (or maybe Ipstenu-DH did something and made it work in which case disregard any of my advice and only she can save you now.)

Hey dreamhost, if ya give me a free domain name or something I will write out the easiest simplest method for people to install multisite and even with cloudfare, in like 7 easy steps much more clear than your wikis haha. Ah I may do that anyway if it’ll help somebody and post it here. Also Ipstenu-DH I sent you an email. Thanks again all.

DNS is … a really messy thing. See, it’s a phone book. And WE updated our stuff in 5 minutes, but then you’re waiting for every single phone book in the world to update their listing for you too. And that, technically speaking, can take up to 72 hours. We can’t speed it up any more than we have. In your case, CloudFlare was an extra layer of complex on there (and IMO, while amazing, it’s not something you should use until the site is ready to go live, as it makes design harder).

(Disclosure: I’m the author of the two Multisite 101/110 books linked at the bottom of the DreamHost wiki page on Multisite - if it really was 7 easy steps that worked for everyone, I’d never have needed to write 'em :wink: That’s the real pain with MS. It’s really amazing and powerful, but yikes, it’s complex! And then DNS? Guh!)

I’m still thinking about the magazine/rpg complications. As a Half-Elf, I’m quite fond of RPGs :slight_smile: It’s complex situation, and I personally lean towards separate sites, unless the magazine is the RPG (like a … New York Times Munchkin game oh my GOD I need to play that!), and then yeah, I can see wanting your ‘real’ profile and a different display one for the game.

Great way of stating that. I tried to word and ended up abandoning post :wink:

I also agree on turning off cloudflare. Unfortunately the greater numbers of webmasters/designers first sit down and say ok I’m going to make by website now. Then they proceed to turn on every possible combination of switches and options that they possible can, whether they truly understand what it does or not. It has to be better right?

The better way is install WP, then design the site, only adding plugins that are needed to get an important element. Then for options like caching and cloudflare turn them on slowing one at a time and try to benchmark whether it helps or hurts the site overall.

You and the folks over at WP did come up with the defaults for how things are turned on or off at install very purposely. Because they are correct for the vast majority as they start out. It also important to add and test things being turned on singly… rather than add 9+ plugins, caching and cloudflare all at once then try to sort out whats really happening with the memory hog, with bad DNS and two incompatible plugins fighting each other. Things (plugins, options, etc) were created to fill a need and working by themselves they fill the need they were created for. That doesn’t really mean they work well with the other million options.

Conclusion: Start basic and add functionality, don’t try and add everything that sounds cool then try and sort the problems out.

Yea you guys are right. For the most part I haven’t turned anything else on or even installed it yet. The plugins I plan to use are just bookmarked. Cloudfare just happened to be the one thing I had turned on for reasons. I’m definitely not using it to be cool haha. Well that and I also turned on akismet which I’m also going to rethink before the site is live, but I also had reasons for wanting that on while designing the site. Other than that no unnecessary plugins were on including w3 cache. For shared hosting I know you try to slim things down as much as possible to up speed and performance, in theory at least. I hope you guys are around when I switch to vps and I have to convert everything again haha.

Oh are you the author? This page? http://wiki.dreamhost.com/WordPress_Multisite hhaawkward haha. Well you know there are always those who like to rage against the machine. I like dreamhost though I did switch from ipage to come here. I just get frustrated since I’ve only been wordpressing for I don’t know, a month. I used to do tumblr blogs before this. And I’m not the smartest guy so its hard when things aren’t crystal clear. I know the way you wrote the wikis are the official proper way, but I will challenge the idea that it could not be written in 7 easy steps for dummies haha. But really I thank you that the wiki page is short and pretty simple. The only thing I would say would be helpful in adding to that page is the link to the other dreamhost page (or merge them) that lets you know dreamhost hides your htaccess file and theres nothing you can do to about it. Except use another ftp. Then updating the filezila page would be good because the instructions there don’t match the new filezila. (That was an afternoon I’d like to have back) I encourage people to use leechftp for simplicity and freeness. To lakerats point, Cloudfare is one of the main options presented to you by dreamhost when you are setting up your domain. I did plan to use it before I signed up but I would not have gone out of my way to include it right away had dreamhost not been like HAY do this! So it was more like, well I plan to do this anyway and since I’m setting up my domain now may as well do it now. Maybe its better or unique configuration rather than me later going to go get it. That was my thinking. So it may not be too much of a stretch to include somewhere on the multisite wiki a “if you are using cloudfare” section, couldn’t hurt at least. But hey with that we all might’ve never met.
But had it not been for those dreamhost pages I would have been lost so ty. It was a really easy setup with ipage but the site was much slower than with dreamhost. Plus dreamhost terms of service is also much better. And there are no half elf gurus and lakerats on ipage. I looked. So I like it here. btw were you able to receive my email I sent from the email link in the forums here dh guru?

The magazine is a real world magazine but still connected to the RPG, but also not connected. Its hard to explain in short. You’re almost close to some of what its about but its a little more of a battle/influence/every fantasy story meets the matrix thing. The mag and rpg are connected, but only for those who wish to take the red pill. -teaser. But yeah they are intentionally on the same site.

Yea dns. I don’t mind the waiting, its just when you’re not sure if you’re doing things right and you’re also not sure how long you’re supposed to be waiting to find out yeah it all can get complicated. In the future I’ll remember the world wide address book and know to just do the best I can do, then wait and see if it works. If not then come and bother you guys.

Now I am off to the complicated lands of multinetwork buddypress. yaey.