.shtml and Php woes

Dear members,
Recently I made the switch to Dreamhost and so far it’s been a very pleasant experience. The only problem I am running into is Dreamhost by default does not allow including php within an shtml page. (So if I use (!–#include virtual="…/hello.php" --) it renders a white page. Just replace the () with <> it doesn’t post otherwise.)

To get around this I have added this to my .htaccess
AddType x-mapp-php5 .shtml
AddHandler x-mapp-php5 .shtml

This works for Most installs of IE and Firefox but a few users with IE note that when they try to view an shtml page they are asked to download it instead of their browser displaying the page.

Does anyone know of a workaround for this? I realize I could rewrite all the pages in php and other things but I just want the ability to have the include virtual work with php files as well as anyother file I include. Thanks!

I am sure I answered something similar very recently. You could try a search over the last month and see if you can find it.
If I find the page again I will post it here for you. Mind you I am not sure if the solution worked or not since the OP never got back.

Oh this is it. Read the thread through to the end. I get better towards the end of the thread!

Norm

Opinions are my own views, not DreamHosts’.
I am NOT a DreamHost employee OK! :@

Act on my advice at your own risk!