Show sub-domain not IP

We have our domain, bgreenlifestyle.com, hosted with Dreamhost. We have our e-commerce store hosted with Network Solutions. We’ve setup a sub-domain on Dreamhost, shop.bgreenlifestyle.com, to direct to our store at Network Solutions.

We set this up as a re-direct, with our IP address that we received from Network Solutions. However, when you type in that address, shop.bgreenlifestyle.com, in the web browser, it displays the IP address.

How do we set this up to always show our shop.bgreenlifestyle.com sub-domain? I’m pretty sure this is possible without using the “cloak” function.

[color=#00CC00]Panel > Domains > Manage Domains[/color]

• Click the Edit button next to shop.bgreenlifestyle.com

• In the Fully Hosted section, click [color=#0000CC]Change Settings[/color]

Now you have it fully hosted, rather than being a simple redirect.

[color=#00CC00]Panel > Domains > Manage Domains[/color]

[b]Name:[/b] Leave blank [b]Type:[/b] A [b]Value:[/b] The IP provided by netsol [b]Comment:[/b] Custom redirect - Click [color=#0000CC]Add record now![/color]

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

Thanks for the info. That worked well.

One more question. Is it possible to password protect just this shop.bgreenlifestyle.com DNS, or do i have to password protect the entire domain?

Sub-domains are treated as domains here. Nothing you do on a main “domain.com” affects how “sub.domain.com” works, and vice-versa. For all intents and purposes they are completely separate entities with the only proviso being you need a domain.com in order to host a sub.domain.com

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

Any chance you could walk me through the steps to password protect shop.bgreenlifestyle.com?

Having a little trouble once i get into the Htaccess/WebDav section, as I see my only options as http://www.bgreenlifestyle.com/???/

You can’t use the DreamHost panel to password protect a subdomain that’s not hosted at DreamHost. Your DNS entries can’t be password protected, as it’s a giant White Pages of the Internet. You can manually set up the same type of password protection if their web server supports it.

Here’s a tutorial and some tools:
http://www.elated.com/articles/password-protecting-your-pages-with-htaccess/

-Scott