Should I use a different host?

Hi all,
I’m looking for a host that supports Ruby. I told my current host that I wanted to cancel my account and come here because they did not support Ruby. They said that they would install Ruby and give me two months free to make sure everything was working correctly, so I decided to stay. They have been a great host in every way but I’m thinking I won’t be able to use Ruby like I think I should with them. Here’s why:
Although they had Ruby set up I was not able to access it from SSH. Apparently my shell was jailed, but Ruby can’t be accessed without a full shell. So now they have told me that they will leave the shell open long enough for me to get my site up and working, but then they will close it. Does that sound right?
I’m thinking that I should be able to do things like install Redcloth, or Hobix, if I want so that I can experiment and explore. But it doesn’t look like I will be able to do that with them. Is this an unrealistic expectation on my part? Could I do things like that using DreamHost?
I greatly appreciate your help and advice!

By all means, sign up!

I just finished setting up a cron job to back up MySQL databases from a Perl script and ran the MySQL client at the command line. The shell accounts on Dreamhost are a winner!

As to Ruby, this was posted here https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=home.announce:

[quote] Ruby on Rails change to production mode (Upgrade)

Posted: Jul 27th, 2005 - 12:02:22 PM PST (10 days 0 hours ago)

This announcement applies only to users of Ruby on Rails, the web application framework
written in the Ruby programming language. If you do not use Ruby on Rails, this does not
apply to you.

Up to now, our default Ruby on Rails set up has been development mode. We will be changing
that to production mode next week if there are no unforseen complications. Your applications
should generally be in production mode on our servers anyway, so this change simplifies
deployment.

If you have any questions about this, please contact our support team.

Happy DreamHost Ruby on Rails Team

[/quote]

So you have no problems getting a ruby prompt, or using gems?

We provide a full shell account with Ruby 1.8.2, Ruby on Rails and many commonly used Rubygems.

• Dallas
  • DreamHost Head Honcho/Founder