Shifting and geting your money refunded

Hi,

I have been with Dreamhost now for about 2 to 3 weeks, during which time I seem to have hit upon problem after problem.

I have been around on the Net long enough to know that problems do occur and we cannot expect perfection, however, I moved from Lunarpages to Dreamhost because my site was getting too busy for them at LP and they wanted more money, or alternatively, I could leave.

I moved to Dreamhost because quite a few people said it was a great service and good value for money.

But, I am not finding this to be the case. Day after day, my sites are running super slow and I just keep hoping it will improve. Now I am at the point where I think I will just move on to another server and be done with it all here. It is a major pain to have to shift again but it really is just too slow to stay.

My next hurdle is to ascertain how and how long it will take to get a refund.

Has anyone else tried and been successful and how long does it all take?

Thanks and sorry for the negativity but this frustratingly slow server is simply not what I expected.

Shadow

Sorry you’ve had a bad experience.

The mail outage this morning was a pain, but it didn’t last long & I think they handled it well.

Overall, I’ve been with DH for about 3 years & have been an extremely happy customer. I’m a web designer & developer and have had experience with many hosts - in my experience DH is really among the best I’ve dealt with.

Problems do occur ocassionally, as they do with any host. The thing that keeps me with DH is that their customer service is superb.

[quote]Problems do occur ocassionally, as they do with any host. The thing that keeps me with DH is that their customer service is superb.

[/quote]

Hmm. I hear what your saying. yet, you’ve only ever posted on the forum today. And you do have to admit the last month has been kinda rough. So bad, support has taken to clearing issues that were never solved.

-Jason

MP3Mystic Your personal Streaming MP3 Server
Dreamhost Hosting - Last one out, turn off the lights.

I have heard that they are relatively quick about issuing refunds during that initial 90 day period, but, then again, they also claimed 24 hour turnaround responses from the support team at one time as well so who knows…goood luck

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

I can see that a lot of people like yourself seem to think very highly of DH. Perhaps their latest server ‘yen’ is just not the same as the others.

Go to http://shadows.os42.com or http://te.os42.com and see how long they take to load. I am on a 4mb b/band link and it takes me forever. It can improve at times but it is never as quick as my previous host.

I really wish I could resolve all this and not have to move but I am at a loss as to what to do about it.

Thanks for your feedback anyway :slight_smile:

bron,

just out of curiosity, how many times have you actually spoken to one of these superb support people???

i thought so.

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

beware of anybody who is “paid” for their opinions

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

http://te.os42.com
14 seconds.

http://shadows.os42.com
a Minute. Although the page was viewable after 30 seconds, it spent 30 seconds loading everything else.

-Jason

MP3Mystic Your personal Streaming MP3 Server
Dreamhost Hosting - Last one out, turn off the lights.

ouch - dude, I understand that you’re upset… but I’m not employed or paid by DH in any way.

Maybe I’ve been lucky, I don’t know. All I can say, again, is that I’ve had a very good experience with DH for the past 3 years.

Shadow -

Yep - your site was slow to load. Took about a minute on my DSL connection.

Have you put in a support ticket?

Jason -
I have posted to the forum in the past - but not in the past year.

Seriously though, maybe I have been lucky, but I really haven’t had any problems in the past month. I am surprised to hear that support is clearing unsolved issues - that’s definitely not cool.

Shadow -
Yep - your site was slow to load. Took about a minute on my DSL connection.
Have you put in a support ticket?

No, I haven’t because I would imagine they will put it down to having too many graphics, a big site etc etc. I really do not feel like spending days playing tennis with support about whether the issue is my site or the server.

I know the site is not the quickest loading and that is fine. I also know it is definitely taking a helluva lot longer to load than it did previously. Look at it from this persepctive, would I be even be making these posts if I thought the issue could be resolved by me doing some work on my site? Of course not.

Likewise, I am not saying all this to heap criticism on DH. I just want a good server that will meet my needs.

As I said in my opening post, I am more interested in trying to get a refund and getting on with running my sites.

It is unfortunate but I guess I have just been unlucky.

<ouch - dude, I understand that you’re upset… but I’m not employed or paid by DH in any way. >

sorry about the hostility :frowning:

just that i was referred here by someone i later found out was practically making a living on DH referrals

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

Uh, bet you would get paid for referrals too (nope, not saying you would refer anyone), yet you are honest in sharing your opinion. Guess that means at least some positive reviews of DH could actually be honest too. :slight_smile:

~Chell

<Guess that means at least some positive reviews of DH could actually be honest too. :)>

Chell,

I was actually one of those peeps giving DH positive review early last year on webhostingtalk.com (unpaid btw ;), but, around december last year/january this year…a lot of things have gone south and have never really rebounded. Who knows, maybe in a few months, things will get settled, but until than, buyer beware :slight_smile:

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

I’ve been with DH for about 5 years. Have added sites, registrations and deleted same. They’ve always managed to credit me what’s due. Maybe not quite the same as walking up to the return desk at Target and getting cold hard cash in my hand immediately, but it seems like a reasonable lag time to me.

Kerch