Shell

I have installed PuTTY and read the instructions twice. However, it still doesn’t seem to be working. Whenever I type ‘plick qantasvirtual.net’ all I get in response is a blank line. Nothing else happens. I followed the instructions, so what did I do wrong? When I run it, I have Pageant open and the files have been uploaded to the server.

It seems to work fine for me. Did you recently register or start hosting this domain - that is, anything that would require a DNS change?

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

o…
Come to think about it… yeah… today.

Dunno if it’s too late where you are, but does DNS resolve for your domain?

Anyway, until then, you can connect directly to your web server. If you don’t know what your web server is, click on “Account Status” in the upper right hand corner of the panel and among the stats will be your web server name. Let’s say it’s “blah”. You should then try to ssh to blah.dreamhost.com.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

The DNS does resolve to my domain. Anyways, I have tried connecting to my server… I thought that is what you are supposed to do.

OK, so it’s not a DNS propagation issue.

Can you plink to sdf.lonestar.org?

Okay, I fixed it. Firewalls do more bad than good sometimes.

Well, one last thing, its asking for a ‘keyboard-interactive authentication’. Keyboard-interactive makes it sound like it has something to do with the keyboard- course the keyboard is doing nothing…

When is it saying this? If you’re using Pageant and you’re presenting the correct private key, it shouldn’t fallback to keyboard-interactive authentication (plain old username/password).

Well I thought I was using Pageant, but either way, I should be able to type a password correct? I can’t even type.

Well, when I plink to a host where I’m not using Pageant authentication, it prompts me with: “login as:”

I do to, and I type user name and than it asks for password, which is where I get that thing about the password. When I try to type it in, nothing happens. I can CTRL+C out, but I can’t type anything in password field

Umm… Are you sure you’re not just being fooled by the lack of feedback? It doesn’t feed back any characters - even as *'s. What happens when you type your password in and hit Enter?

You should either get “Access denied” or get a successful login.

So that is what the green box means… Thanks for all your help mate

Glad to be of help. We’ve all been in similar situations!