Shell users: how to change group

I created another shell user. If I login with it, I can easily see what’s inside the other user directory? How can I stop this?
I tried to create another group for the second user, but he’s still on the unix group of the first one…

Cupons:[color=#0000CC]MAO_HALFPRICE[/color] : pay only half of the price (L1 plans only) MAO97 get 97$ back

Actually, it’s not just the user you created, but any other user, if “other” has permissions to ‘execute’ directories and ‘read’ files and directories.

You can change group of files and directories with

chgrp -R newgroup direct

I’ve had some script trouble doing this because they need to be in the default group to work.

$1 for me << [color=#00CC00]SE7ENOF9[/color] | [color=#CC0000]SE7ENOF97[/color] >> All for you

actually I discovered something weird…
My main concern was that my friend was able to
cd /home/mydir
ls
and then if you see something maybe u can even read it.
The problem is that after 5 minutes he wasn’t able to ls

And btw, I see directories, I can cd into them, but I can’t see anything.

Cupons:[color=#0000CC]MAO_HALFPRICE[/color] : pay only half of the price (L1 plans only) MAO97 get 97$ back

They’re working on it?

http://blog.dreamhost.com/2007/02/23/read-this-now/#comment-62002

$1 for me << [color=#00CC00]SE7ENOF9[/color] | [color=#CC0000]SE7ENOF97[/color] >> All for you

I don’t understand too.
It seems scary to me…

[quote]It seems scary to me…

[/quote]

It is a dangerous world, but do not panic. :smiley:

well…I did some test to see if I can read logs.
I can’t…or maybe I’ve tested only unix gurus…
I can’t even ls their dir…
but I can ls
/home/username.wtf.xxx
and see his domain.

I don’t want to test security…it shouldn’t be my task…

Use caution. Don’t give your keys to people you can’t trust. Lock your doors. Be careful with permissions, users, passwords. But don’t panic. :cool:

[quote]/home/username.wtf.xxx

[/quote]

I think those are one-click installs and similar that failed. Most owned by root/staff. I assume they get deleted periodically.

lol then they fail a lot of times :slight_smile:

anyway, now I have to find out what to do to secure my stuff then…
I should probably move all default directories and start to change permission at least to .htpasswd…
chmod o-r .htpasswd probably…