Shell, Java, and Dreamhost

software development

I’m new to Dreamhost and I’m a student in college.
I do a lot of work on campus, at home, and while traveling. I don’t have my computer all the time.
Are there any restrictions on writing/running java programs in the Shell environment?
I’m also taking a networking course and I wanted to know if I can play with sockets and packets, and datagrams and still be within the proper usage of the Shell environment.

[tang]$ java -version
java version "1.5.0_02"
Java™ 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_02-b09)
Java HotSpot™ Server VM (build 1.5.0_02-b09, mixed mode)

I would think there isn’t a restriction other than the old crufty version they have on the server. I noted this afternoon they’re using Debian for the servers, and there is a modern up-to-date Java available in the Debian repositories. It is not necessary to do this:-

[tang]$ ls -l /usr/bin/java
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 2006-12-04 05:39 /usr/bin/java -> /usr/local/dh/java/bin/java

(Sorry for the late reply. I don’t often check in here.)

What you really want is a generic shell environment designed for constant interactive use. The spirit of Dreamhost’s TOS is that the shell account is meant to be used for any activity required to build and maintain your web site or web application. Other uses should be kept to a minimum.

If you’re willing to pay for access to a java SDK on a shell server, check out “SDF Public Access Unix” for $36/year. I have a “free” account there and while I don’t have access to any compiler tools, it works out great for access to SDF’s BBS and holding some notes and miscellaneous small files of mine.

– Happy Dreamhost customer, not an employee.