Share login credentials between packages

Hi all,
I Just set up account with Dreamhost and want to put my site together but pretty new to all this and hoping someone can offer some helpful suggestions.

I am planning on - Joomla, dotProject, email and subversion for now. Is there any way to set up a single list of users (eg email accounts) and have these same credentials shared between all these packages? I can see with separate user names and passwords for everything I will soon be spending all my time fixing up forgotten passwords. Can I config a unix account for each of my users and then use that?

I don’t think you can create general unix account for all because the information of those users will be saved to different places.

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

Well, it depends on what you mean.

You can install all these packages under the same unix account, but most of the web applications you’ve described have their own authentication system - they don’t use unix usernames and passwords.

That said, each of them (I think) has a mechanism for a user requesting the mailing of a new password to the email address set up for their account, so you shouldn’t spend much time resetting passwords manually.

What are [color=#CC0000]50DISK50[/color], [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color], and [color=#CC0000]1IP1DOM50[/color]?
They’re Dreamhost coupons!

Thanks for the feedback and you have confirmed what I thought - each have there own authentication system. I know dotProject can authenticate from M$ Active Directory but this doesn’t help me much. I think I read somewhere that you can get subversion to authenticate externally but I think this only works if you use svnserve?

I think you are correct they all have method for user to request their password but I was after a more professional looking approach where if use changed password it rolled out across all their applications.

I will keep searching for a solution but this may be the limitation of a ‘free’ system versus paying large sums of $ to a company for an integrated solution that doesn’t deliver 1/2 the functionality these apps do.

Thanks
Anthony

I know with many tools you can find plugin modules that replace their authentication with a call to a “parent” authentication system. For instance, you can get Joomla!/Gallery integration and Joomla!/WordPress integration.

Even if you can’t find such a thing ready-to-go, you could always do that yourself as an open source contribution!

What are [color=#CC0000]50DISK50[/color], [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color], and [color=#CC0000]1IP1DOM50[/color]?
They’re Dreamhost coupons!

Thanks, I will go hunting. If I can find something that is close to what I need I may be able to hack enough code myself to tailor it, and as you said make this a contribution back to the community.

Web application programming is not my forte, but with google’s help I am sure I can turn my industrial control systems programming experience to use.

Anthony