Setup new web page

I have set up web pages before but I don’t remember having this problem. I have my domain, and my web space on dreamhost. I ftp’d my “under construction” page in html format to the new website. When I use IE to view my web page, it just shows the directory, with the words INDEX OF at the top. How can I get my web space to display the html file instead of the index?

JenniferM

Try renaming your construction page to index.html
All the best -
marsbar

Edit: You might also like to check out this DH Knowledge Base/wiki article:
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Building_A_Website#Why_do_I_get_an_empty_directory_listing_where_my_website_should_be.3F

Also, make sure your file is being uploaded to the correct directory.

At DreamHost, every domain (or sub-domain) you host will have a directory in your user directory with the same name as the domain. For example, if your domain name is example.com, when you log-in using FTP you should see the following directories;

logs
Maildir
example.com

You should place your site files in the example.com directory.

If you are using a general FTP client you shouldn’t have too many problems. However, if you are using a program that automatically uploads your site files, you may need to set the correct path in the configuration of that program.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )