Setup new Drupal site before migrate name servers?

apps

Is there some temporary URL I can use to install Drupal on my site BEFORE changing the name servers?
I have uploaded the code via FTP
I have created the mysql databases
But I want to execute the install.php without changing the nameservers (in particular the name server entries point to a subdomain on one host and the main domain on another host and I just want to move the subdomain.)
If this is mission impossible I may have to cancel my contract

You can use the DreamHosters setup. I admit, I don’t remember how Drupal stores URLs, but I think these basic steps should work.

1. Setup your domain (mydomain.com) as fully hosted. Don’t worry about the nameservers, we just want the folder structure of /home/user/domain.com :slight_smile:

2. Make a dreamhosters domain and when you set it up, have it mirror domain.com. This way domain.dreamhosters.com will pull in everything from /home/user/domain.com

3. Install Drupal there. All the files will be in /home/user/domain.com, but the URL will be domain.dreamhosters.com - Set everything up the way you like it.

4. Change the URL. This is where my genius fails me, since I can’t remember if you just have to edit the config file and your .htaccess, or if you have to search/replace the DB, but if you look up moving Drupal to a new URL, that should help.

5. Nameserver swap.

6. Have a party :smiley:

[quote=“Ipstenu-DH, post:2, topic:58589”]
You can use the DreamHosters setup. I admit, I don’t remember how Drupal stores URLs, but I think these basic steps should work.

1. Setup your domain (mydomain.com) as fully hosted. Don’t worry about the nameservers, we just want the folder structure of /home/user/domain.com :)[/quote]
    I already did this and have the structure above (I think) but I ftp’d the drupal files there. But the folder structure is user/mydomain.com where mydomain is hosted elsewhere.

I don’t want to pull in everything from the other host. I want to do a clean install on dreamhost and then point the domain name to it.

When I attempt to use the url above I get an error. Do I need a different folder for the subdomain? Are you intentionally differentiating mydomain and domain?

[quote]
4. Change the URL. This is where my genius fails me, since I can’t remember if you just have to edit the config file and your .htaccess, or if you have to search/replace the DB, but if you look up moving Drupal to a new URL, that should help.[/quote]
I can figure out the configuration settings once I can get to the URL. The Drupal7 install will do most of that.

[quote]
5. Nameserver swap.[/quote] I hope I get that far.

Why is this so complicated? Why can’t DreamHost provide me with a temporary URL like every other host I have used?

Thanks for trying to help … I just feel that we are using a different language.

We do. That’s what yourdomain.dreamhosters.com is. A temp URL :slight_smile: And if I go to yourdomain.dreamhosters.com, I see you set it up correctly, though DNS hasn’t caught up yet. It’s usually pretty fast, but it can be around 3-9 hours for the new name to resolve.

As for the rest, you kinda misunderstood me :slight_smile: Don’t worry, everything’s weird when it’s new. Then it all clicks in place.

What I mean in Step2 is this: By Having your temporary URL, yourdomain.dreamhosters.com, mirror yourdomain.com, you will be installing all your files into their final location of /home/user/yourdomain.com (and yes, that is where your files are, I’m looking at them). The reason you want to do that is so you don’t have to move the file again later. It’s all internal to DreamHost, so don’t worry about where you get your files from, and just know that this is where you are going to put whatever you want on your website :slight_smile:

It’s mentioned under Setting it all up, this is where you just have to wait a bit for it to catch up :slight_smile:

You’re doing just fine, and you’re doing everything right!

I guess you were right. Now I am not getting an error when I access the drupal install.php . Thanks. I had just a little hair left! :wink:

It’s scary and stressful that first time! And of course, this will probably be the only time you do it, so you can’t carry the lessons onward. :slight_smile: Hang in there, and let us know if you need more help.