Settings in & Dreamhost

I can’t seem to make the publishing settings in Blogger happy with my Dreamhost settings. I set up a subdomain as I haven’t repointed my DNS yet, and I’ve gotten other scripts to run fine and I can ftp in easily. But using:

Publish Server:

and setting my FTP Login user/password to what I use to FTP to the server

I keep getting “login incorrect” when publishing with Blogger. I must have some setting incorrect, but I can’t figure this out.

Thanks for any help.

I am assuming that is your domain name, and it mirrors, and the directory you want your blog in is /ruthgroup? If this is the case, try this for the blogger settings:

Publish Server:

Update: Found this proposed solution to the same problem, NEARLY THREE YEARS LATER. At first, it seemed to work, but then the problem quickly emerged again. Of course, DH will blame Blogger and Blogger will blame DH. Given the recent week of hell at Blogger, the benefit of the blame currently lies with Blogger. Still, it would be nice to have a once-and-for-all explanation and solution for this common intermittent annoyance.

Here is Blogger’s Excuse:

Socket Not Established
"This error most commonly occurs when Blogger is set to publish via SFTP to a server that does not support that. Try changing your publishing settings to regular FTP and see if that fixes it. If not, contact your hosting provider to find out more about the error."

Obviously that’s completely bogus, because SFTP was working just fine for months and months. If anyone can suggest a fairly painless way to transfer a blog from Blogger to Wordpress, here on DH, that might be one solution. My bet is that transferring content between blogging platforms would be somewhat of a foo; but perhaps readers know of tools I’ve not yet discovered.

I remember doing something similar way back. It was time when DH didn’t offer One-Click installs etc.

Oh yeah, that must have been REAL fun. :slight_smile:

I just did the WP 2.0 install with built-in import. Seems to have worked great for all the core content; posts, comments; although I’ll have to go back and manually rebuild many template customizations. Still, with all the pain at Blogger in recent weeks, it’ll be worth it in the long run. Thanks for the tips.