Setting up Subversion on a subdomain

I would like to set up Subversion so that I can access it using a subdomain. For instance:

http://svn.vocaro.com

where vocaro.com is my regular DreamHost domain.

There are instructions that talk about it how to do that, but they only talk about how to do the Subversion part. They don’t say anything about how I would go about setting up svn.vocaro.com.

I know that I can add subdomains using the DreamHost control panel, but there are a number of bewildering options. I don’t know whether to use type A, CNAME, or what, and I don’t know what to enter for the value field.

I checked the DNS topic in the wiki, but I’m still confused. Does anybody know how to add a subdomain specifically for use with Subversion? Thanks,

Trevor

Set up svn.vocaro.com just like if you were setting it up as a separate website. That’s Domains > Manage Domains, scroll to the bottom, click the link to Add New Domain/Sub-Domain. You will end up with an empty web-accessible folder /home/trevors-username/svn.vocaro.com/

Then once that is all set, go to the Goodies > Subversion section and you can set up repositories. Worked great for me.

No need to mess with the custom DNS options. What you need is a fully-hosted subdomain. The trick is that the subversion server is actually implemented as an apache httpd 2 module (mod_dav_svn), not as a separate server. So there’s an empty web folder, and the config file sets up particular s and directs control of those to the module, which will serve up your respository.

Thanks for your mac/treo/DUN instructions, btw - very helpful. Didn’t know you were on dreamhost!

“Set up svn.vocaro.com just like if you were setting it up as a separate website. That’s Domains > Manage Domains, scroll to the bottom, click the link to Add New Domain/Sub-Domain.”

Ah, that was a lot easier. That text box in the DNS tab looked exactly like where a subdomain would go, fooling me into thinking that’s where sub-domains should be added. Thanks for the tip!

“Thanks for your mac/treo/DUN instructions, btw - very helpful. Didn’t know you were on dreamhost!”

You’re welcome! Only been on DreamHost for a few months now.