Setting up MacBook email client to access DreamHost email box

I’m trying to set up my MacBook email client so that I can read/write email for my DreamHost website mail account. I’ve followed one DreamHost link to see if it would help (
but it doesn’t really walk me through the whole setup procedure, so I’m making a mistake somewhere in the procedure because the email client tells me it can’t connect.

I can access my account through Safari ( cetera) and can log in, and am then able to receive and send mail. But I’d prefer to be able to use the MacBook email client instead, as it’s easier than going through Safari.

I’m running OS X 10.9.1 on a MacBook Pro. The email client setup steps aren’t the same as those shown on the setup guides for OS 10.3, 10.4, and 10.5.

When I tell the email client to go to the DreamHost email system, I get the message “An SSL error has occurred and a secure connection to the server cannot be made.”

Help? Where do I turn for step-by-step setup information?

Hey there! Have you been able to set up your mail client yet?

If not, can you let me know the settings you’re using (excluding password and name in the email address)? You should be using your full email address as the login, and if you have SSL/password enabled, you should be using port 465 for outgoing, and 993 for incoming/IMAP.

Hi, Elle, thanks for the response.

I am running OS X 10.9.1 on a MacBook Pro.

First of all, when I try to go online to my DreamHost mailbox using my email client, I get an error message “The identity of [ is my organization name] cannot be identified. An SSL error has occurred and a secure connection to the server cannot be made.”

My choices then are “open connection doctor”, “stay offline”, or “take all accounts online”.

If I select “open connection doctor” the new page says, for, “connection to server succeeded; login not required.”

If I click on “take all accounts online” I get the error message “mail can’t connect to the account “SAPOE”” and “enter the password for user “membership””. When I enter the password, the same password that I use successfully for reading my DreamHost webmail, the error message repeats and I’m at a dead end.

If you can get me past that point, maybe we can make more progress.

If there’s any way we could speak by phone, you could probably walk me through this in five minutes. I’m reasonably intelligent: I have an engineering degree from MIT – but I’m not conversant with this business of setting up mail service protocols.

If we CAN’T speak by phone, then ask me your next question and I’ll do my best to give you the information you need.

Walt Blake
 SAPOE Membership Coordinator

you may have 2 issues going, or maybe not. I know what’s responsible for the error “The identity of [ is my organization name] cannot…” etc

Dreamhost gives each domain DNS entries to use the domain name itself as your mail host. The problem is the connection reached has a certificate owned by dreamhost which to your email client, doesn’t match the domain. The solution to that problem is to set the host according to the alternate or dreamhost values in this article:

I’m not certain what could be causing your password issue. If the password currently works at it should also work from the mac email client.

You can definitely speak to one of our support team members on the phone about this. You can request a callback by submitting a support request from the panel. There is a fee of $9.95, which will allow you one month of phone support (3 callbacks).

You can also use our LiveChat service, which is free!