Setting up email and custom mx? Help!

Hi all,

My site is hosted with DH but the email should go elsewhere. I’ve set up custom MX records, BUT do i also have to set up the required email address at DH?

E.g. let’s say my site is “site.com” and I want an email address like "site@site.com", do I have to set up the email address here at DH, or will the group in the custom MX record do that?

I hope i’m making sense - any help at all would be great!!!

Soots.

You don’t need to set up email addresses here. Just at your mail host. And not only will you have to change the MX record, you’ll need to add DNS records for your incoming (POP/IMAP) and outgoing (SMTP) mail servers at that site.

-Scott

I don’t remember if this was an issue at DH or not, but you might even have to remove addresses here, if you’re using a form on your site to send mail.

I know some hosts will capture it with their servers regardless of what your settings are, if you’re sending it from their servers.

Like I said, I don’t remember if that’s the case here or not, but I know I had to with other hosts. Just something to keep in mind if you find that form mail goes to your old account, while mail sent by humans goes where you want it to go.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.

Thanks so much, you two - that really helps me out. Well I’ve applied the custom MXs, so we’ll see what happens. Thanks a lot again!