Service Temporarily Unavailable

Hello People!
It’s very important everbody know that Dreamhost limits the number of conections at maximum 250. What it does means? Well, if your website received more than 250 conections simultaniously it will be blocked and this message will appear:

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Dreamhost it will suggest that you change to a dedicated server costing more than $300 per mouth!

For more information, please contact me:
E-mail and MSN: leonardo.rebitte@gmail.com

Best Regards,

Leonardo Rebitte

[quote]
Hello People!
It’s very important everbody know that Dreamhost limits the number of conections at maximum 250. What it does means? Well, if your website received more than 250 conections simultaniously it will be blocked and this message will appear:

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Dreamhost it will suggest that you change to a dedicated server costing more than $300 per mouth!

For more information, please contact me:
E-mail and MSN: leonardo.rebitte@gmail.com

Best Regards,

Leonardo Rebitte[/quote]
There are limits to shared hosting services, and that sounds fairly reasonable considering the vast amount of resources you can access for the modest prices.

Indeed, other hosts give you even less for similar amounts of money.

Peace,
Gene Steinberg
Co-Host, The Paracast
http://www.theparacast.com
[b]My DreamHost Promo Plan—Use the code: [color=#CC0000]ROCKS[b][/color]

I don’t mean to sound like a DreamHost apologist, but I agree.

I think it’s ironic that are at two kinds of contradictory threads on these discussion boards:

1. People complaining about the limits to our accounts.
  2. People complaining about the performance of their server, mostly due to people who are exceeding the limits of their accounts. :slight_smile:

Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s great that we can have both kinds of conversations.

I also hope against hope that I never have to start either one of those. :smiley:

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Oops, I forgot the obligatory on-original-topic part of my response:

So what’s everyone’s feeling about what a reasonable maximum number of connections is for a shared server? What about for a dedicated server?

This is actually relevant to my real job as I’m currently architecting a web-service RPC capability for a system and I have to decide how important it is to avoid having to make thousands of small, long-running outbound http requests. I’m obviously worried about the impact of having to make that number of outbound connections but I imagine that the service provider will be concerned by having upwards of 100,000 inbound connections come in all at once.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

You’re going to have more significant issues at 100,000 than a service provider’s heartburn.

Wholly - Use promo code WhollyMindless for full 97$ credit. Let me know if you want something else!

Aha! Tell me more.

BTW, just so you know the scale of the operation, I’m expecting between 100 and 1000 servers on our end and the same number on the other end. These are 4 processor dual core Opterons now and will be quad core in the future. I expect to use something like a F5’s BIG-IP appliances out front running HTTPS to HTTP protocol conversion and doing some level of load balancing.

Guys,
Let’s think a little! I hired 1TB and 200GB per mouth, but how can I use these 1TB if Dreamhost put my website out of service when it arrive in 40.000 visits or 25GB per day.

25GB x 31 = 775GB [so far to 1TB]

What I want to means is: I HIRED FOR 1TB and I WANT USE THIS! Where on the contract Dreamhost’s says about these 250 conections? It’s not fair!

Regards,

Leonardo Rebitte

[quote]
Guys,
Let’s think a little! I hired 1TB and 200GB per mouth, but how can I use these 1TB if Dreamhost put my website out of service when it arrive in 40.000 visits or 25GB per day.

25GB x 31 = 775GB [so far to 1TB]

What I want to means is: I HIRED FOR 1TB and I WANT USE THIS! Where on the contract Dreamhost’s says about these 250 conections? It’s not fair!

Regards,

Leonardo Rebitte[/quote]
Actually, here’s where they specify excessive use of resources: “Hosting server. If your processes are adversely affecting server performance disproportionately DreamHost Web Hosting reserves the right to negotiate additional charges with the Customer and/or the discontinuation of the offending processes.”

Clearly 250 simultaneous connections constitutes “adversely affecting server performance disproportionately.”

It is fair in a shared environment. There are practical limits to how far you can go before you must consider a dedicated server – where you and only you can use and abuse the system.

Peace,
Gene Steinberg
Co-Host, The Paracast

So DreamHost allows 250 simultaneous connections. From what we’ve observed, practically speaking, DH downloads run at 200-1,000KB/sec. Taking a median of 500KB/sec, that’s 2 hours and 15 minutes to use up your 1TB allotment.

Also note that running your 250 simultaneous connections at 500KB/sec gives you 125MB/sec. That’s 1Gb/sec. I don’t think our DreamHost servers are running dual gigabit ethernet, so in practice you’d see less throughput.

Actually, I doubt DreamHost has the 7 OC-3’s they’d need for this so it would probably take you a few days to go through your 1 TB allotment this way.

I should add one more point. Nobody is “hiring” DreamHost to perform a task when you set up their service. You are, more accurately, subscribing to a service, period. They agree to provide it within the limitations posed by their TOS, anti-spam policies, etc.

Peace,
Gene Steinberg
Co-Host, The Paracast

We have various limits in place to protect users and servers, but if you hit an arbitrary limit and your site is running smoothly other wise, just contact support and they will remove the limitation. Most users never get close to using 250 simultaneous connections to a single domain and it is almost always a sign of something gone awry. (imagine a ddos, or someone stealing all your images with a bot) What is your domain Leonardo? What type of traffic is eating up all the connections? Are you distributing thousands of tiny files? After a quick reality check to make sure everything is running as intended there is no issue with upping the limit.

Reading through your support history it looks as if support reported some cases of apparent abuse of your website (one file specifically) but that communication broke down a little due to you only making the bandwidth argument above which is not the issue support was trying to raise with you.

The problem it seems is that support directly limited your website since you seemed unwilling to cooperate in preventing the abuse. 250 simultaneous connections is not a limit you are hitting. But basically the issue is if a single IP downloads the same file thousands of times per day, it is best for everyone (us, you, the environment, general sanity) to prevent that abuse. Just reference this forum discussion to support and offer to cooperate in preventing the abuse and we should be able to get things running smoothly again.

7 OC-3’s is about a Gbit of bandwidth. We currently have 8 Gbit uplinks to various providers. Thanks to central limit theorems and weak-convergence the sum of everyone’s bandwidth spikes approximates a smooth distribution making it relatively easy to predict and stay ahead of our customer’s bandwidth needs.

The bottleneck as you point out is the connection of an individual web server to the overall network as far as burning through a month’s worth of bandwidth within a few days.

Impressive!!!

Hello

I was redirected to this topic after I stated that I was getting 500, internal errors, which says that my server had downtime and capacity problems.

Now I wonder, if my site has exceeded its limit of connection though I used just a little space of my package, why should I buy so much space ? What is it’s use ?

Then part the packages into small pieces like 2 gb space, and give to the customers who get 2 gb space , 250 connections or whatever…

But to your customers who has 140 gb space to use , he/she most probably will have a great project and many members , systems , or maybe many websites along with subdomains. Is it fair for such a big space to have the same connection amount with those little ones ?

I wonder, and I don’t understand. I am sorry but I was dreaming of a more telerable Dream host.