Servers

Hi,

Quick question - do Dreamhost’s servers run on Linux or Windows?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Amanda

The dreamhost servers run on Debian Linux servers. I believe all are now up to version 3, woody of the Debian dist.

• wil

Why do we even need employees with Wil around? :>

I guess we’re going to have to put him on salary soon.

OK… let me get it straight… the Will with two "L"s is a Dreamhost employee, but the Wil with one “L” isn’t… or is it the other way around? :slight_smile:

– Dan

[quote]OK… let me get it straight… the Will with two "L"s is a Dreamhost
employee, but the Wil with one “L” isn’t… or is it the other way
around? :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Nope, you’ve got it right. It’s just that Wil is so helpful, you’d think he were part of our tech support staff. :>

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

And now there seems to be a third Will as well. I think we’re going to have to institute some sort of policy prohibiting further Wills from joining this forum.

[quote]And now there seems to be a third Will as well. I think we’re
going to have to institute some sort of policy prohibiting further
Wills from joining this forum.

[/quote]

Or maybe get rid of one of the current ones.

(…eyes “double-L” Will conspiratorially…)

• Jeff @ DreamHost

Well, those Champagne Mimosa is enough of a reason to join Dreamhost initself. :slight_smile:

• wil

I have thought about this before, and wandered if it was a good idea for staff members to put “Staff” as their “title handle”, but then again these aren’t officialy staffed by Dreamhost tech support, or so the main page states, so would people’s expectations of the forum change if some members had official looking staff tags, and demand the same service as the tech support email? I’m not sure…

• wil

[quote]so would people’s expectations of the forum change if some
members had official looking staff tags, and demand the same
service as the tech support email? I’m not sure…

[/quote]

Yeah, I kind of worry about that, which is why I haven’t made a major effort to flag official-ness. A good 80% of the messages here aren’t something that we alone must answer, and those kinds of questions really should usually go through the main support system anyhow.

I usually prefer to answer stuff in here that goes beyond what we can offer in our official support - coding questions, techniques, etc. These things aren’t really something we can officially support one-on-one, but in cases where we have specialized knowledge it can sometimes help a lot of customers if we make it available (albeit unofficially) anyhow. If anything, it spurs discussion. :>

• Jeff @ DreamHost