Server view via FTP Question

Hi,
I signed up a few days ago and i have a question about the folder structure etc on the server when connected via FTP
I can logon via FTP, and I see my site folders, but when i enter the folder there are no subfolders. My previous host i would see html, cgi-bin, etc
Is this normal for Dreamhost?
Could it be an issue with the site not being confirmed on the server side? problem with my username/password?
If anyone has some information on this, I would appriciate it…

This is correct. the youDomain.com folder is the “html” folder. Everything placed in that folder (or sub-directories there of) will be accessable by your site visitors. You don’t need a Cgi-Bin, the cgi will excuite anywhere in your public accessable area as long as it has an extension of .pl or .cgi

-Matttail

But you don’t have to organize your folders that way. I prefer for each domain to have some private folder space completely outside the web folder. I also like to have all of my domains collected in a single folder inside my main FTP root.

So, when I create a domain, I change the web directory from the default:

{domain-name}

to:

domains/{domain-name}/web/public

This also happens to be the same directory layout my TextDrive account has, so it makes it easier for me to switch back and forth between accounts.