Server stats

Hey all,

Here’s a neat new thing on the dreamhost wiki:

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Misc#Server_Statistics

I think the idea is to create an index of the boxes at dreamhost, and their capabilities, similar to what some other hosts have.

• Lloyd

My busiest site has been on a PIII? w00t!
But now it’s on an eval server :frowning:

Because of hyperthreading, the number of procs in a Xeon machine is displayed differently in /proc/cpuinfo. A “4 proc” Xeon is not actually a 4 proc machine, but a 2 proc machine.

I’ve altered the wiki page to reflect this new information. Thanks, Will.

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog

I just had a thought. Does this mean that machines reported as having 2 processors only have 1?

Simon Jessey

Servers with processors that don’t do hyper-threading (P3 and earlier P4) will report their actual number of processors. We don’t have any single processor shared hosting machines.

• Dallas
  • DreamHost Head Honcho/Founder

Thank you for that information. What’s your take on this particular wiki page, Dallas? Nate has indicated (see the associated discussion page) that he thinks it’s a waste of time and probably warrants deletion, but I think it is quite interesting for your punters.

Simon Jessey

Well, it is unlikely you’ll ever manage to get a comprehensive list up and keep it up to date, but it doesn’t bother me if you want to try. :slight_smile:

• Dallas
  • DreamHost Head Honcho/Founder

Since most people have their domains on the same server, it will require a truly collaborative effort to do it.

Simon Jessey

Okay, I wrote an itty bitty script this morning to generate similar info based on our database.

It won’t stay super up-to-date, but it makes me a little more proud of our shared machine count than the like 10 machines users had put up there.

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Server_Statistics

nate.

Nate,

Nice script! But it looks like it’s not properly detecting the correct number of processors on xeons (the hyperthreading thing). You may want to /2 the number of processors based on the model name and family (xeon model 2).

Thanks!

• Lloyd

Also, it would be handy to show the memory in Mb instead of kb :slight_smile: