Server specs and domain reg. transfer

I’ve signed up at dh recently.I still don’t know whats my server specification.How/where can i know that?

I’ve a domain somewhere else than dh,which will expire after some days.I mean i’m on on the last 60 days period of expiration for the domain.So i can’t transfer the registration now.But i wanna use my free registration(included with the plan) for that domain.My question is,how many day I’ve to wait(after the expiration) to be able to transfer the domain?

Has your account been activated? If it has, you just need to add hosting for you domain, then upload your site, etc.

I think it’s only the first 60 days after a registration that you can’t transfer a domain. You should be able to transfer the domain to dreamhost right now.

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for other Dreamhost coupons / promo codes

BTW, for advice in transferring your site, read the following wiki articles:
Transfer your site to us
Transfer Hosting

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for other Dreamhost coupons / promo codes

The specification of my server is a single Dual Core AMD Opteron CPU with 4GB Ram, so its not anything special.

At peak times things tend to slow down quite a bit.

I think the OP was looking for their server name or IP address to log in for the transfer, etc, but I suppose that’s good information to have anyway.

Personally, I think the actual server specifications are less relevant on shared hosting because more powerful servers would just have more customers loaded on them. In fact, I’d bet that within Dreamhost itself this is true between the older, less powerful servers and the newer, shinier ones.

Even simple metrics like “how many shared users are on the server” aren’t really very good. I’d guess that the 80/20 rule applies and that 80% of the resources are being used by 20% of the users. Actually, I suspect the ratio is more like 98%/2%.

In some ways, the shared hosting is a red herring in that the server itself can be looked at as a giant web server and managed that way. You manage to peak load and try to ensure that the server can handle the load at those times. In some ways, shared hosting can be more efficient because the peaks and valleys should even out across websites with varying usage profiles - though I suppose there’s still demand-side peaks that apply across all sites.

Web hosting is pretty demanding from the perspective of acceptable load. By this I mean that there’s little difference between a slowdown and an unacceptable slowdown. What kinds of slowdown did you experience? Chances are that slowdowns are the result of a runaway neighbor and a support call should be in order to help save everyone else on the server. :slight_smile:

If youu can do ssh to your server, run this command :

cat /proc/meminfo
cat /proc/cpuinfo

Supernova

Need promo code? Use [color=#00CC00]Supernova[/color] (you get $97 off on yearly plans): SIGN UP NOW !

Check out instructions on how to apply the code !

BTW, my guess about what the OP is asking derives from their use of the word “still” in his question:

I could be wrong, but my bet is that they’re not asking about the specs on their server, but rather have been waiting for some notification about their server - hence the word “still”.

We’ll see what my psychic powers are made of. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the answers.
I just wanted to know my server specs,thats it.According to my control panel my account is on milk web server.Where can i know its specs?Just curious.
And i thought the 60 days period is applicable for the last two month of registration expiration too.If thats not right,then its good for me now.

As Supernova stated the best place to find your server specs is from your server. DH has thousands of machines so there is surely a huge variation. I’m sure most publicly available online information is out of date and likely won’t include your specific machine.

Stolen from Supernova’s note:

If you can do ssh to your server, run this command :

cat /proc/meminfo
cat /proc/cpuinfo

Wholly - Use promo code WhollyMindless for full 97$ credit. Let me know if you want something else!

OMG, I was totally wrong. I guess I’m not psychic. Sorry guys!

BTW, I’ve been here for 9 months and don’t know my server specs. I don’t really care because what does it really matter since I only get a small slice of it anyway? Actually, since I have PS the one thing that does matter is what kind of CPU architecture I have since that should drive the value of each mhz, right?

I just helped my sister switch over a domain to Dreamhost and it’s a little more than a month before its expiration, so I’m pretty sure it can be done.