Server Migration: Drupal & Connection Issues

I’m wondering if anyone else is having serious problems with their sites after being moved to a new server.

I was on Olympic and was moved to bogota. Now pages are taking up to two minutes to load, including a plain HTML test page I uploaded to the new server. I ran an external webserver speed testing tool, Vertain which timed out after 13 seconds, failing the test completely.

My drupal sites are slow-loading too and I can’t access the admin panel. I can log-in, and post content and navigate the content but can’t access any administration pages. I can also get into my databases.

I’ve tried

-disabling clean urls
-using ?q= in the urls
-emptying cache tables, browser cache
-reloading .htacess
-checking the code in .htacess
-looking at the settings files for anything that might need ammending
-reloaded drupal which was at the current version of 6.14 -running cron and update.php a few times.

Any help? Anyone else have migration issues?

How long since the migration?

If it’s a new machine the system might be under load due to the migration of other accounts to it as well. First step would be to log in to shell and take a look at the server load by typing ‘top’ at the command line. Load averages are reported in the upper right.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

Thanks for answering. It has been two days. here’s what I got from my shell query. I barely know how to access the shell and don’t really understand the results, so please be patient! I x’d out the user.

[bogota]$ top
top - 14:42:07 up 3 days, 17:42, 2 users, load average: 0.79, 0.92, 1.06
Tasks: 3 total, 1 running, 2 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
Cpu(s): 0.0%us, 0.0%sy, 0.0%ni, 0.0%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
Mem: 16433696k total, 16314380k used, 119316k free, 308912k buffers
Swap: 8000328k total, 17288k used, 7983040k free, 13395248k cached

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
28404 xxx 22 2 36900 1700 1116 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 sshd
28409 xxx 22 2 78840 2168 1428 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 bash
28420 xxx 22 2 10596 1216 960 R 0 0.0 0:00.00 top

The load average is great. Below 1 is fantastic. I’m happy with anything below 5.

Next thing to do is look at the log in HOME/logs/EXAMPLE.com/http/access.log and error.log

A plain html file should be very fast. Did your test page have any images? Even if so, that only very slightly slows down delivery. I’m hoping there’s something obvious in the logs.

-Scott

The load is fine. Awesome in fact!

Memory is saturated tho, and the CPU at 0.0% is odd (might be setup to report your own usage and not global tho).

Send a ticket into Support and show them those stats.

FYI, memory will always look “saturated” on a properly functioning server. All of our servers have significantly more memory than they actually need (by 50% or more) – the rest gets used to cache files from the disk. On this server, for instance, around 13 GB of the 16 GB of memory in use is being used for cache.

I’m aware that “idle memory is wasted memory”, but thanks for the FYI.

What’s the deal with the 0% CPU? Is top setup for local reporting on the newer servers or something?