Server Loading and SLOW sites

Is DreamHost normally as pathetically slow as it has been for the past month or so I have been here? Currently taking nearly 30 seconds by the time it displays a dotProject login page then after entering credentials another 30 seconds to display the page. I may as well be in dial-up internet as a broadband connection is a total waste.

I requested about 3 weeks ago a PS but not heard anything yet. How long does this normally take and is that going to solve my problem or should I look at other hosting companies?

I can run the ‘test account’ 3 or 4 times a day and it always shows
2008-03-24 01:31:37
Item Type Result Actions
lara notice Your web server was under a high load at the time of testing.

no kidding its overloaded…

signed
Extremely p1ssed 0ff

Anthony

Which server are you on?

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

My Web Server:
lara
My Email Server:
blingy
My MySQL Server:
rous

I know there has been lots of trouble with the blingy clusters filers but this is now beyond a joke.

Anthony

btw, I have logged three support tickets over the last 5 hours as I cant see any way to add additional information to outstanding tickets.

Anthony

Yeah the panel support is more an internal mail system than a ticketing system.

When things are sluggish on my server I find SSH’ing in and running the user and top commands can provide a wealth of information in regard to who to point the finger at :wink:

Including the number of users (and usernames) along with the CPU readings from top in a message to support usually results in very fast fixes as the techies can check particular user logs to determine what was going on when your server was spiking.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

Thanks, I will give it a go.

Anthony

Lots of root and hdapache processes running. Guess they do all the housekeeping stuff over night but it makes it pretty much a useless server for me. Guess all I can do is keep pushing for my PS to be provisioned and see if that sorts it or take my business elsewhere.

Anthony

surprisingly - I too am on a PS - and since the last two days my server is pathetically slow and all I see is DHAPACHE process running -

could this be a system wide problem - you are seeing HDAPACHE processes?

[quote]surprisingly - I too am on a PS - and since the last two days my server is pathetically slow and all I see is DHAPACHE process running -

could this be a system wide problem - you are seeing HDAPACHE processes?[/quote]
Drawab, just wanted to observe that I don’t think the OP has PS, they applied 3 weeks ago and are still waiting.

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!

Yes there was a lot of dhapache processes.

And correct, I dont have PS yet - still waiting.

I have received the follow reply from DH (Guess lot of other people have also got it but thought I would post it for those who didn’t)

Sorry about the downtime. A lot of you have already been receiving blingy status messages. Blingy is your cluster of machines for web, mysql, and email. The main file server for this cluster is having serious problems.

We have been working on this file server for a while and unfortunately our efforts have not produced a permanent solution for the problems we have been dealing with. We currently are moving users and data from the file server onto a new one. This unfortunately takes time to complete but we are working towards giving the file server more breathing room. We are also in the process of adding a third file server to the cluster and we will be moving even more data there as well.

Today we have also added more disk space to the file server as well and we had the vendors do the install themselves. This should help with the stability

Please hang in there, we will get this resolved as soon as we can. If you would like an update on the status of this issue, since it is considered an ongoing issue, please send support messages to blingystatus@dreamhost.com. You will receive a message similar to this one with an update on steps we are taking. Please also keep in mind that you must write from a contact address listed on your account or the message will bounce.
If problems occur we will address them right away to get your sites back up, but we want to get this issue resolved rather than just fixing it as problems happen.

Sorry for the downtime and overall poor service caused by this file server.

For those of you who wish to cancel your service and receive a refund, please contact me directly at ralph@dreamhost.com and I can give you further information on that.

Some of you are also asking when this issue will be fixed, I wish I had concrete information for you, but if I had to estimate I would say by the end of the week. Unfortunately I can not guarantee the issue will be fixed by then, but we are focusing on this issue presently and that will go a long way to us finding a solution.

Thanks!
DreamHost

Anthony