Server load

I’m a new user here, so bear with me. I signed up w/ Dreamhost in November of '06, and recently I received an email notifying me that my account had been moved to another server. I noticed that my site loading speed had increased dramatically. So I logged in via SSH. I did a “w” command, and I got the following: “Load average: 33.17, 24.84, 24.56”. I seem to remember hearing somewhere that you want the load average to be around 1. Is there anything I can do about this? Can I ask support to move me back to my original server or another server? Or am I just stuck on this server? Thanks.

I guess you are happy with the loading speed. Just stay here and enjoy the speed before more customers come and share the bandwidth in your new server.

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color]. Sign Up NOW

I am assuming you meant to say your site loading times have increased dramatically. :wink:

These figures do indicate that your server was under an extremely high load at the time. If these high loads persist, I suggest lodging a support request detailing your situation (and history) and perhaps support will be kind enough to move you to a less crowded server.

Good luck.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Haha, yes, I did mean to say loading times have increased. :slight_smile: I’ve been monitoring the server load for the past few days (with the exception of yesterday due to the power outage) and I’ve rarely seen it go below 10, but it was spiking quite badly today. (in fact, it reached 138 after I had posted!) But following your guidance, I’m going to open a support request as soon as I finish writing this. Thanks also for your prompt response.

It sounds like someone on your server is using more than their fair share of the system resources, I hope it isn’t you. :wink:

Seriously though, support should be able to resolve the issue for you, either by finding and removing the cause of the heavy load or perhaps by moving you to a less ‘busy’ server.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

The current feeling is that optimal load average is equal to the number of cores on the machine. In reality, anything up to 2x the number of cores should be hardly noticeable.

Wholly - IS NOT MY PROMO CODE. Even worse, I don’t get any credit for it. Use WhollyMindless for full credit. I’m really disappointed in someone.

Yeah…If its a dual - dual core then a load of 4-5 should be fine. Anything above will start decreasing performance worse and worse. Anytime you see it spike, as I mentioned in another thread. They are usually very quick to fix it if you submit a ticket.

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] on Dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]SRVR97[/color]

Thanks to everybody that posted. I opened a ticket and within a few hours, had a response! Support is currently moving me to another server. Dreamhost is by far the best webhost I’ve used - and the cheapest too!

the only drawback is that we are on a shared server. But DH will take care of us :stuck_out_tongue:

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color]. Sign Up NOW

Excellent, be sure to let us know how that goes.

You are unlikely to be moved back to your original server, but hopefully the new one will have a lower load and resolve your speed issues.

I’ve noticed that quite a few hosts have ‘caught up’ in regards to price and quota offered, but very few come close when it comes to features offered.

Mark

[quote] Excellent, be sure to let us know how that goes.
[/quote]
Everything was painless, and now I’m just waiting for the DNS entries to propagate. But when I SSH’d in using the servername.dreamhost.com, the load averages were all below 1. :slight_smile:

That is definitely a good sign. I’ve found that load figures <6 or so have next to no impact on my site loading times. Thankfully, I only see the load on my particular server exceed this on very rare occasions.

Hopefully your server load remains low and you can get back to the important business of running your site(s). :wink:

Mark