Server Down Info?

So this morning I had a client send me an email containing a FWD from INTERNETSEER.com which I assume my clients husband is watch (he’s a bit paranoid) Here is some what of what the email states “Time: Mon Feb 23 10:34:48 EST 2009
Total Time on Error: 1 hour, 9 minutes, 35 seconds”

Below this says "Upgrade your hosting. Get reliable, affordable business hosting at Bluehost. "

So how much of this is gimmick and how much is truth??? Is there a log as to when my DrPepper server goes down? And does it list date, time and length?

These people since becoming my client never worried about their website, and now they are all Rambo about it - Help me explain SOMETHING to them!

Login to shell and type uptime before even worrying about it.

I wouldn’t trust a monitoring service that sends adverts in it’s correspondence.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

I’m sorry but what is shell?

It’s a program that allows you to issue commands directly to the server.
The Windoze equivalent would be the system console (Start > Run > type CMD).

Ensure your user has shell access enabled:

• Panel > Users > Manage Users

• Click Edit next to your user

• User Account Type: Shell user (checked)

You can access your server via programs such as PuTTy.

Quick list of commands here

Wow I don’t get it - I’m on an Apple but shouldn’t this be a qui k view someplace on the dreamhost webpanel?

Use Terminal.

Sorry again but I’m def a beginner at this and again what does my apple laptop have to do with dreamhost dr. Pepper server?

You use a computer to access the server.

Terminal will allow you to login to shell, where you can issue an uptime command.

Is there a step by step process somehere. Again I said I’m a beginner. I appreciate your help.

ssh username@yourdomain.com

I’m sorry but doesn’t makes sense.

you said you were on a mac. So you need to open up a terminal so you can ssh into your server

finder -> applications -> terminal

at the prompt enter in

ssh username@yourdomain.com

where username is your username and yourdomain is your domain

you will then get a request for your password

once in type in

uptime

it will show you your uptime which will look something like this:

10:34 up 7 days, 2:22, 2 users, load averages: 0.20 0.18 0.17

to get out type exit

beerorkid.com

Thanks so much for the detail - I have tried ssh and then my email it then Asks me the following below (not I have changed the personal info - or at least what I think is personal info

"RSA key fingerprint is bc:(bunch of letters/numbers and colons).
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Warning: Permanently added ‘domain.com,IPADDY’ (RSA) to the list of known hosts.

After I typed yes it gave the warning and then asked for password - I entered the emails password BUT after 3 times it then gives me the following (which if course I change the personal info)

Permission denied, please try again.
user@domain.com’s password:
"

Type in again and same.

Also, do I need to use an email for the domain that is in question? Cause I can just create one for just this purpose and then delete.

you need to make sure your user you are logging in as has shell access.

DH panel --> users --> manage users --> click edit on the user you are logging in as --> choose “Shell account - allows SFTP/FTP plus ssh access.” and save.

If yours is already set for that then you must be using the wrong password. It should be the password you use to get into the DH panel.

beerorkid.com