Server 500 Errors

software development

I’m not getting any luck in the General forum. Figured this might be a more appropriate forum to post in. I have also logged a ticket with support.

I’ve made a post in the forums but have not received a suitable answer. I’ve specifically moved my site to dreamhost because of the promise of complete control over how my web site was delivered.

So far I’m pulling out what’s left of my hair.

Forum Post: http://discussion.dreamhost.com/thread-129307.html

The problem is that I have a script that does two things:

1. back up the database
  2. process player retirements / skill updates

Both can run a while… we’re talking around the 5-6 minute mark. The only response tells me I shouldn’t do that and should use cron instead.

That’s all fine and dandy but I NEED TO DO THAT. My users cannot (should not) have to take a ticket to wait for cron to get around to running the script.

At my previous host we were having timeouts due to the mysql dump being killed as we were on a shared host. At dreamhost the dump doesn’t seem to be the problem. the db dumps okay and actually even starts running some of the script (but not printing to screen) before giving me a 500 server error. I have tried flush, ob_flush, you name it… its almost like there is absolutely no data being sent to the browser at all.

Any help or advice on how to rectify this problem is appreciated.