Seperate WP installs required if different theme used for subdomain?

wordpress

I am about to do the one-click WP install for my upcoming site, onemanz.com, on DreamHost.

Two issues:

1 - should I install it directly to my main domain www.onemanz.com?

I see the install is asking for inclusion of a subdomain, but I do not have any yet.

2 - I see the install instructions mention editing the wp-config.php: if there will be multiple installations of WP. What I do not know is:

If I end up needing to use a different WP Theme for subdomains, because they may need their own menus and archives, do I need a completely separate install of WP for each Theme?

If you need more info of my specific needs, read on.

I am unsure if I can accomplish my goal of having subsites with different pulldown menus by using one WP theme and child pages, or if I really will need to use a separate WP theme for each subsite and just use hyperlinks between them.

Example: onemanz.com will show the recent posts of each “category” (subdomain), and the Read More will link to the subdomain’s main page - onemanz.com/guitar, for guitar reviews, onemanz.com/beer, craft beer reviews, etc.

Each of those subdomains will have its own pulldown menus, maybe its own logo, etc.

Will that sort of thing require separate WP installs, or just one?

Thanks

What you’re describing are subdirectories, not subdomains. I’m pretty certain a single WordPress install will suffice for your needs, but I’m not totally certain what you’d need to do to customize the theme (or use a different) theme for certain pages; I’ll let our resident WordPress experts advise you on that.

I suggest you have a look here:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

As of WordPress 3.0, you have the ability to create a network of sites by using the multisite feature.

TeraS: Right, but I don’t believe the application tspnyc has in mind requires multiple sites. It’s more along the lines of a single site which might need to use multiple themes.

Yes, thanks. A single site with multiple themes. The question was, CAN one have multiple themes on one site? I just do not know if that is possible.

I have been playing WP on a home localhost install, and it does not seem to do this. There is one theme for the domain.

But I did just create the subdomains

guitars.onemanz.com
malt.onemanz.com
beer.omemanz.com

Are you saying I will not NEED those? I can do it all on onemanz.com with pages within that one domain, which can be addressed as onemanz.com/guitar?

From the Wordpress site:

Copy theme and plugin files
Before you start, check that your plugins will work in the network installation. If a plugin is not supported, do not install it. Find suitable alternatives for it by searching for the plugin’s function with “multisite” or even “mu”, as in “social bookmarking plugin wordpress multisite”.

Copy the theme and plugin files from your old WP installs to their respective directories in the new wp-content. You can activate themes for the network, or you can go to Superadmin > Sites, then click edit on the site you want, and enable a given theme for just that site.

Note: if you are using a child theme, copy both parent and child themes to the new site.

Edit WordPress configuration settings for each site.
Edit the configuration settings, widget, etc. for each site. By the end of this step, each site should look exactly as it did before, only with the URL subdomain.example.com or example.com/subsite rather than its correct, final URL.

Therefore you can have different themes on each site.

ah great. So it sounds like child themes or even completely different themes.

Thanks.

I have not installed WP on my DreamHost site yet. But I will this evening. I assume I can install it directly on my main domain and will do on.

It’s possible, but it is not easy.

That’s how WP is setup to work.

The question you should be asking yourself is: “Is it absolutely necessary for me to use different themes for my single domain, or should I find one theme that is suitable for all pages?”.

If you really want complete separation of entities within your domain then the “single site” idea is probably irrelevant and you should investigate the multisite option.

First of all, I very much appreciate the input and suggestions!

Well, I do not WANT to have separate sites if I do not have to.

But I need to have separate pull down menus for each of the “sites”.

If you would like, please take a look at this site.

I created it in raw html, as I did not know about style sheets and all that stuff.

It is going to be reconstructed as onemanz.com/guitar. Reviews, articles and interviews with extensive video and audio files of guitars.

Note how the menu item under Reviews/Acoustic Guitars leads to a page where I intended to have reviews listed for many different brands of guitars, which each individual review under a menu, like C.F. Martin.

The other sites, like onemanz.com/malt - reviews of malt whiskies - do not have nearly as much multimedia involved, will be simpler overall, but still need their own unique menus for reviews, articles, media, gallery.

The home page, onemanz.com will have a four column table with the latest posts for each of those four subsites, or whatever they should called. So that home page operates like a current events blog, the subsites are subject specific but themselves will have subpages.

If I CAN accomplish this with one theme, customizing the child pages or secondary pages, etc. for separate menus that will be fine. If they must all have the same background and banner, I can live with that.

It is the pulldown menus for each that matter most, and hopefully the ability to keep each category (guitar, malt, beer, meal) with its own archive.

thanks.

I’d be inclined to use a CMS that can handle alternative themes and menus out of the box rather than jump through hoops trying to get WordPress to work with you. There are much faster and robust alternatives available, such as gpEasy that could do exactly what you require. Finding suitable themes would be the hardest part, but the result would be a super responsive site that has little chance of running into resource limits down the track.

This really is a matter of finding a theme which has pulldown menus and most themes have that. The way you have your site now can be easily reproduced with using the menus control page under appearances in the dashboar in wordpress.

You might want to look at a theme called Graphene, I use it on my site, my husband’s site and others and it would do most if not all of what you want I think.

Ah. Well I was going with WordPress because, once it is designed, it is relatively maintenance free. I am unfamiliar with other platforms, being limited to being a Microsoft Office trainer, with no experience with code or design.

Does this gpEasy work on DreamHost? I do not mind customizing a theme, so long as it responds to basic html for that purpose. But like most, I would prefer using thing that are setup to work with DreamHost as is, rather than paying money for the privileged of using something that might be more powerful but costs money.
[hr]
Ah. Well I was going with WordPress because, once it is designed, it is relatively maintenance free. I am unfamiliar with other platforms, being limited to being a Microsoft Office trainer, with no experience with code or design.

Does this gpEasy work on DreamHost? I do not mind customizing a theme, so long as it responds to basic html for that purpose. But like most, I would prefer using thing that are setup to work with DreamHost as is, rather than paying money for the privileged of using something that might be more powerful but costs money.

I liked the fact the DreamHost site was done with WordPress and many other sites are as well that seem to expand beyond the basic blog design, yet maintain the basic structure.

For anyone making suggestions in this thread, from the OP’s other thread we also know he needs user accounts with a method to determine who’s allowed certain content (file types and sizes unknown). There also needs to be ability for a user to upload files to the site owners.

gpEasy is supported on DreamHost and it’ll do everything you want. Check it out.

Thanks! I was reading some reviews and it sounds easy to use but functional.

I see people commenting that it is good for small sites, defined as under 50 or under 20 pages.

If I understand the usage of of the term pages, I will have a separate page for each guitar, malt whisky, beer, restaurant I review, I will be over 50 pages by April.

Once I get most of my pre-collected data posted, I will be slowing down to more like one review in each catagory weekly, so then it will be more like 15-20 pages a month, not including the “blog” for each category, which will be updated with industry press releases, etc.

Goes gpEasy still sound like an appropriate choice for me?

Thanks.

Yeah, it will handle that easily (it will handle 1000’s of pages easily).

I’m unsure where “people” are getting the “under 50 or under 20 pages” figure from. Each page is saved into it’s own file much like a regular HTML site so there is no bottleneck due to page count. It could be some have trouble managing their pages - which is a user problem rather than an issue with the CMS itself.

Best way to see if it would be suitable for you is to install it and create a coupla pages (even using different themes per page if you want) and make a few blog posts, etc. The learning curve is close to zero compared to the more popular CMS’s so half an hour or so and you’ll have a strong grasp of it.

Thanks. I tried out their demo and the WYSIWYG interface makes it seem like a basic Word document, etc. It is very good for a website moron like myself.

But I have decided to continue with WordPress for now. It may be overkill for my needs, but I like the fact there are such tried and tested plugins and the online course I am taking has a good list of recommended ones that are widely used within the WordPress world, for everything from SEO, spam, backup, typography, etc.

I might as well take the time to learn WP, as I may want more complex stuff down the road.

Thanks again for the help!