I’m in the process of moving my site to DreamHost and am having problems with getting sendmail working. The support lib says to configure scripts to: /usr/sbin/sendmail

But … that isn’t working. Any suggestions?

The script I’m using for my ecard site can use SMTP instead of SENDMAIL. When I test SMTP is working fine, but … in reading some DREAMHOST documentation it states a limit of 100 eMails ea day? Is that for personal mail? or does tht apply to programs as well?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!!
owner of which is currently down =(


The quota is 100/hr, not per day.

DreamHost uses Postfix, so that /usr/sbin/sendmail is Postfix pretending to be sendmail. What makes you think it’s not working?



whoops – looks like I read incorrectly. An SMTP threshold of 100/hr is more than sufficient for my site’s needs.

As far as sendmail. I have the PERL script set for: /usr/sbin/sendmail – but the result is when I test it as an end user is that the eMail to notify someone that an eCard is waiting for them is never delivered. Instead, I get an MAILER-DAEMON eMail sent to my default eMail account with DH that reads as follows:


This is the Postfix program at host

I’m sorry to have to inform you that your message
could not be delivered to one or more recipients. It’s
attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to

If you do so, please include this problem report.
You can
delete your own text from the attached returned

The Postfix program

: No recipients specified


Perhaps this is more info than you needed … but … that’s the result when I use sendmail instead of SMTP. And even though it states “no recipients specified” – there was a recipient entered every time I tested. My script checks for a recipient and won’t send it if one is missing. It all works fine with SMTP. So … I’m kind of stumped what the fix is for this.

But – Now that I am aware of the 100/hr threshold for SMTP, I think that will be the option I’ll use for now.

I’m not a “real” programmer, I just pretend to be one on the Net, so any help is SUPER appreciated. =)

Thanks for replying,


I would double check that the recipient does exist and is already able to receive email from a source other than your perl script.



You might want to check if you’re using the -t flat with sendmail. The -t flag tells sendmail that you’re going to enter the recipients as headers to the message, rather than right on the command line. Most scripts need to have this flag set to work properly, because they add recipients using the “To:” header rather than putting them in the command itself.

For example, this:

$ /usr/sbin/sendmail -t
Subject: Have a nice Day


is the same as:

$ /usr/sbin/sendmail
Subject: Have a nice Day


If your script is set up to use sendmail without the -t flag, it could be that it’s not putting the recipients in the commandline, so sendmail doesn’t see anyone to send it to. If it is using the -t flag, it could be that your script is putting the recipients in the command line, so sendmail doesn’t see a To: header.

If the -t flag is there on your sendmail command, try removing it. If not, try adding it.