Sendmail / Email Questions

Today I noticed this in my resources report:

Process CPU seconds user machine count average
sendmail 0.0100 0.001% 0.000% 1 0.010
postdrop 0.0000 0.000% 0.000% 1 0.000

So, I check my inbox for new mail (there is none) and that brings about more questions…
Inbox Archiver 6:28 am [Inbox archiver: 1 old messages moved to .old-mess…

When I look in the old messages folder - there’s nothing there for today’s date. I mean, if the Inbox Archiver just moved something from the inbox last Monday, and I’ve received no email since, why would it remove something today? How can I find out what message was moved today? I have several “Inbox Archiver” messages in my old messages folder but none for today.

And back to my original reason for posting - why would I see something for sendmail or postdrop on my resources when I’ve received no email nor sent any? (If I do get an email - it forwards to my personal address automatically).

Can anyone clue me in?

Thanks,

Hope

PS: Is there any way to find out how to interpret the resources report? On another account - I see this:
sh 0.2000 0.056% 0.001% 22 0.009

Doesn’t the sh stand for shell? I didn’t access my shell account yesterday. I’m starting to get nervous…

H

The Inbox Archiver does not modify the timestamp of a message. The Inbox Archiver simply looks for messages that are x days old and moves them.

So you need to figure out what x is. This is a setting that can be changed through the Web Panel interface (Mail -> Manage Addresses -> Edit) or through the Mailbox Manager interface (mailboxes.example.com, under “Inbox Housekeeping”)

:cool: Perl / MySQL / HTML+CSS

Thanks.

I guess I’ll have to make a separate post about the resources report.

Hope

[quote]I mean, if the Inbox Archiver just moved something from the
inbox last Monday, and I’ve received no email since, why
would it remove something today?

[/quote]

You did receive an email since - last Monday’s inbox archiver notice. See, Atropos’s:

[quote]The Inbox Archiver simply looks for messages that are x
days old and moves them.

[/quote]

is incorrect. The Archive also looks for messages above the inbox’s quantity limit.

And the behaviour you decribe results from an inbox being at that limit.

The sendmail / postdrop stuff in the resource report has nothing to do with incoming mail from your domain. It has to do with mail sent via the “sendmail” command on your web machine… probably from a script on one of your sites.

This is a very insignificant amount of system resources anyway, so I wouldn’t worry about it.

will wrote:

[quote]The sendmail / postdrop stuff in the resource report has nothing to do with incoming mail from your domain. It has to do with mail sent via the “sendmail” command on your web machine… probably from a script on one of your sites.

[/quote]

Thanks, will. I guess I didn’t explain myself clearly. I meant I had not received an email from any of my contact forms. So, what you are saying is that someone sent something from my contact scripts and that is why there’s activity in the resources report, correct? Yet I did not receive it anything. That’s why I posted here. Why would it be listed if I did not receive any emails (from my form)?

[quote]This is a very insignificant amount of system resources anyway, so I wouldn’t worry about it.

[/quote]

I’m not worried about the amount of resources, I’m concerned that there is some sort of sendmail activity shown yet I haven’t received any email from my contact form nor have I sent any. That’s why I posted.

I’m also concerned about the “sh” activity. Is that shell activity? I did not access the shell.

Is there some place that answers these questions in an FAQ that I’ve missed? Or perhaps yet another email to support is in order…