Sending mail from PHP

Does anyone have experience sending mail from within a PHP script. I get a server error when trying to send using the mail() function. I believe it has to do with the fact that Dreamhost uses authenticated smtp servers. Has anyone gotten this to work?

Thanks in advance,
Eugene

mail() from within PHP should work. Send details of your problem or contact us through the support form.

FYI: auth-SMTP isn’t the problem, because mail() doesn’t use SMTP. It just pipes the mail to sendmail directly.

nate.

Hey Eugene - I have a mailing script in use on here and it works like a champ. What’s the error you’re getting?

[quote]FYI: auth-SMTP isn’t the problem, because mail() doesn’t use
SMTP. It just pipes the mail to sendmail directly.

[/quote]

Also, SMTP and sendmail will both work from machines in our networks, as they’re “trusted” machines, and because we can look through our own logs.

Wow - I’m now a “DH Grizzled Veteran”… and I’ve defeated Wil once again.

Of course since I haven’t shaved in over a month, I really am looking pretty grizzled.

Hi Jousha,

Thanks for your reply. I will have a look at the link you provided as soon as I can. I am actully not getting a PHP error, but rather a web server error. The status code seems to be 500 with an Internal Server Error. I apoligize, but I am in a big hurry now, I will provide more details as soon as I can. Thanks again for your reply.

If you’re running PHP as a CGI (sounds like you are, possibly), I’d doublecheck that your file permissions are correct.