Security for Wiki images upload?

This meta.wikimedia.org page about enabling image and file uploads states:

I’d like to enable enable uploads, but what steps do I need to take to avoid problems? Can anyone help?

Alec Usticke
alec@usticke.org
www.usticke.org
DreamHost

You need to make sure that the permissions are set so that the proper people have write access while the general public (so to speak) has read access. Very few things need permissions to execute.

Raven Oak

www.torifest.com
www.6-58.com

Thanks, ravenoak. Any idea how I do that? :slight_smile:

Alec Usticke
alec@usticke.org
www.usticke.org
DreamHost

You can use shell access (telnet in) to edit the permissions if you know some simple Unix/Linux commands, or if you are using WinSCP to Secure FTP your files in, it allows you to change that right there in the FTP client.

You should probably read this on permissions:
https://panel.dreamhost.com/kbase/index.cgi?area=149&keyword=permissions
(part of the Dreamhost Knowledge Database)
and do a little more looking around the help area mentioned above. Changing permissions can royally f*ck up your site if you don’t know what you’re doing.
Worst comes to worst, email support and ask for advice on how to approach this. I’d think they’d rather can that email than one that says, “Sorry I messed up my entire account.” :wink:

Raven Oak

www.torifest.com
www.6-58.com

FYI, I received the following response from support.

[quote]To: alec@usticke.org
Subject: Re: [austicke 4607623] Security for Wiki images upload?
From: DreamHost Customer Support Team support@dreamhost.com
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 13:59:32 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

The one click installer sets the correct permissions during the install. Thank you for being aware of potential problems, let us know if theres anything else we can help you with.

Thanks![/quote]

Alec Usticke
alec@usticke.org
www.usticke.org
DreamHost