Scripting languages

software development

I would like to use an alternate language for web scripting. Something along the lines of Lisp, Scheme, or at least Tcl. How do we ask for such a thing? Is there a way for us to execute our own binaries?

[quote]Something along the lines of Lisp, Scheme, or at least Tcl. How
do we ask for such a thing? Is there a way for us to execute our
own binaries?

[/quote]

If you’re able to compile it, odds are pretty good we won’t have any problems with you using it (there are exceptions, but usually it’s not a problem). This sort of thing will usually be officially unsupported, however, but feel free to post your results in the forum if you run into trouble.

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

Thanks, Jeff! I uploaded an old favorite, Newlisp, (http://www.newlisp.org/) and it compiles nicely, but it will not execute. Probably due to my misunderstanding file permissions? I’ve CHMOD’ed it 755. Bash reports “newlisp: command not found”.

No. I’m calling the program interactively from a terminal, in the same directory. Permissions are -rwxr-xr-x. That’s right, isn’t it?

I think I see the problem. The makefile is not meant for the file structure on a shared web host. I’ll get this working!

Just wondering… why would you want to do such a thing? Lot of extra work for what gain?

[quote]Just wondering… why would you want to do such a thing? Lot of
extra work for what gain?

[/quote]

Presumedly so he can use a language that we currently don’t support. Judging from his list, odds are pretty good most other hosts don’t support them either.

Programming language preferences are a very personal thing. A little time spent getting your language of choice to work may seem like time wasted to the outside observer, but if you’re more productive using the alternative language it’s probably worth it. Any time spent getting it working is regained within just a few days not spent trying to achieve similar familiarity with another language.

Of course, there’s the other possibility as well - some people simply like to tinker and experiment with other languages, and time spent doing that is no more wasted than time spent reading a good book or watching a movie. More power to 'em.

This is why we support PHP, Perl, Python, C, plus a few others I can’t think of off-hand. You can do largely the same tasks with each of them, but they all have different strengths and weaknesses. Far be it for us to infringe on peoples’ wishes to mix content with code (PHP), write incomprehensible gibberish (Perl), indent to their heart’s content (Python), or beat themselves about the head ©. :>

• Jeff @ DreamHost

Love your description of C. Upon first getting “The C Programming Language” I said two things in this order:

1. Man this is a thin book…
  2. Wow, this is a pain in the ass.

:slight_smile:

[quote]Far be it for us to infringe on peoples’ wishes to mix content with code
(PHP), write incomprehensible gibberish (Perl), indent to their heart’s
content (Python), or beat themselves about the head ©. :>

[/quote]

Or in our own case, write indented incomprehensible gibberish (and content) in Perl, while beating ourselves in the head.

All of the above! But mostly it’s different strokes for different folks; my brain refuses to think in C notation. To me, most of the popular languages are just attempts to make C a little less gnarly. Perl has its own style of notation, and its own brand of gnarl.

I need the straightforward cleanness of a Lisp or a Scheme in order to work effectively, and it’s worth the extra effort in order to have it.

[quote]I need the straightforward cleanness of a Lisp or a Scheme in
order to work effectively, and it’s worth the extra effort in order
to have it.

[/quote]

Speaking of which… Any luck?

• Jeff @ DreamHost

Actually, no. I’m having problems with configure. I can do the default install of newLisp and of MzScheme on my home machine, no problem. But they are both GUI-based. When I try to install just the command line portion, I run into problems. Bash reports “configure: not found”. Configure is right there in the current directory, and I’ve chmoded it all the way up to 777, but it still can’t be found. I’m workin’ on it.

Oh! “./”

I knew it had to be something really simple. It works now, thanks!

Getting really close now! NewLisp works from the prompt, but not as CGI. I’m using a simple script from Nuevatec, which starts with:

#!/home/myacct/domain.ext/nl/bin/newlisp

which is the path to where I’ve put Newlisp. Script was FTP’ed up in ASCII not binary, and chmod’ed 755. Browser does not execute Newlisp, but shows script instead. Again, I’m sure it’s something really simple I’ve forgotten. Any clues?

What is the file extension of scripts? You need to tell Apache to consider those files as CGI scripts and not documents by adding the following in an .htaccess file:

AddHandler cgi-script extwhere ‘ext’ is the extension of your files. Or you can rename thie files with extension ‘cgi’, since Apache is already configured to execute files with that extension as CGI.

Yes! That was it. Apache needs to be told that this is a script. Thank you all! I can now build my web hosting environment the way I want it.