Screwed up phpBB update PLEASE help

apps

It hasn’t gone well, I thought I had been so careful, but I forgot to add the contrib file. I ran the update_to_latest and it said all was fine, but will not show the Admin panel, just keeps saying “ensure the install and contrib folders are deleted”. I replaced the install directory, added contrib and ran updated to latest again, and the same result: a page showing no errors, 2.0.19, but will not move past the “ensure…” page (a phpBB page with the forum logo).

I deleted the install and contrib files and it said I had to login again, now it says:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: phpbb_clean_username() in /home/.badlands/laingsoc/laingsociety.org/giardino/login.php on line 57

I posted this on the phpBB forum but no one has replied, if anyone who’s sharp with phpBB happens to read this, I would be really grateful for any suggestions.

• thank you -

When I’ve messed up my phpbb upgrades before, I simply restore to a previous backup of the forum - generally the one I made just befor eI statred the upgrade. If you just replace all of the forum files with the ones from the back, and clear nd re-fill the database you should be back where you were.

If you didn’t make backups (shame, shame) there’s the .snapshot directory and contact support for a mysql restore.

You may want to wait and see if anybody has sigguestion on how to fi up your install before you go to this work though…

-Matttail

Matttail to the rescue again. :slight_smile:

I ditched the idea of the one-click (per your suggestion before) and got a new copy of 2.0.19 but I wasn’t sure what to do about the other files from the ‘rebuild search’ mod and so left them there, and other 2.0.6 files I didn’t see in the new release. Once I cleaned out everything and tried it again it all worked fine.

now if I only knew why it is that no matter what time of day I start these things, it always seems to take until the middle of the night…

Well, lesson learned. I will never put off an update again.

Thanks for your advice Matttail, and for being around for us eternal newbies.

M.