Screwed up .htaccess? Help!

design

Hi, all, and thanks in advance for any help you can give me. I’m newly transferred into Dreamhost and used to working with cpanel, so I’m feeling my way around the code world.

I put up an .htaccess file to prevent hot-linking, using the code recommended here, but now I’m getting a 500 error when I try to view my site.

To make things worse, I can’t even SEE the .htaccess file that I uploaded in my ftp window, so I can’t delete it!

Any suggestions? Does anyone know if there should have been an .htaccess file there in the first place, that I may have inadvertently overwritten since I couldn’t see it?

Or is this a case where I need to put in a support ticket?

There shouldn’t have been an .htaccess file before you put one there.

Your FTP program should let you toggle the setting to be able to see hidden files. In FileZilla, it’s in the menu under View > Show hidden files.

becuase of the “.” in front of the htaccess file it is hidden. you should be able to set your FTP progrma to show hidden files, and then delete it.

by default there would not allrady have been an htaccess file, so enless you put one there you did not overwrite it. You might consider using the panel to create your htaccess files for you - and then you can remove and manage it with out the FTP client.

-Matttail

Thanks very much to both of you! I managed to reveal and delete the file. Back to the drawing board on prevention of hotlinking I guess.