Scalise Webserver move taking FOREVER!

Anyone else still waiting for there sites to come back online after this RAID hardware failure?
I notice some people with VPS have exactly the same message in their panels so clearly it’s a very large “across the board” failure.
But why does it take so long for them to keep us informed?
The wait time for any kind of response on this issue is outrageously long and they cant give any kind of info as to when the “problem” will be fixed.
Resulting in me just sitting waiting with all my sites offline and the amount of emails Im getting from my users racking up (unlike DH I reply promptly to emails I receive). [hr]
after reading thru some of the recent threads here I see that the wait for a server move is around 2 weeks, If I can find that out reading thru here why on earth cant DH share that info instead of keeping me hanging?
FYI
all my sites are down getting Error 500 :frowning:
Guess my sites wont be back online for another 7 or 8 days yet :confused:

Dreamhost has never said why when they have a hardware failure it takes so long to get the sites back online. Typically the message says the sites have been mounted from the backup server and should continue to be online during the restore process.

The real question is why Dreamhost’s strategy change was to only make these failures less public by moving notification to panel messages seen only by affected users. The real strategy change should be to figure out how to prevent the failures in the first place, and when the inevitable does happen how to get all domains back online with the least amount downtime.

I’m not a VPS customer, and honestly I would have a hard time convincing myself to buy dreamhost’s VPS product given this exact scenario that seems to always be occurring for some v-server. It would be one thing if it was an extremely rare sequence of events, but this seems to be routine rather than rare.

Im not even on a VPS!
Yea your right there is no way on earth I would get a VPS with DH

Same here. Still waiting for my sites to return to 100%. My sites were restored to a point a days earlier, so, i’ve had to re-upload everything. OK, since theyre backed up, but, difficult catching the discrepancies. 14hrs and counting for the move from “hamer” server and the RAID controller issues. Support ticket open, but received the same reply as what i’ve read elsewhere in the forum.

Hello,

Your inquiry has been moved to the queue of a specific tech support team member (this is either because they are already familiar with your case or are the best equipped to assist you with this specific issue). They will respond to you as quickly as they can but depending on the complexity of the issue it may take longer than normal for them to get back to you (even in excess of 24 hours in some cases).

Thanks!
The DreamHost Ticket Moving Robot!

Seems like a HECK OF A LOT of RAID “issues” across a vast amount of servers.
Are DH not maintaining the servers correctly?
Seems like at any one time half of DH’s servers are down or suddenly “have to move”

To update: My sites are STILL all down, no response to my last support ticket apart from the moving robot (which we all know isnt a response at all) which is now 48 hours old

DH really need to get their act together when it comes to support, in my panel it says:

Hello,
As you should already be aware, your web server ‘scalise’ had a hardware failure and we’re in the process of moving it over to new hardware. During this process, the load has been higher than usual due to the added resources needed to copy files over to it. We were able to bring up the old hardware, but it isn’t in good enough shape to be able to serve sites again. We have switched pulling backups from the backup server and are now pulling them directly from the old server. This should speed up the time it takes for the restore to complete significantly - we’re already at the 1/3rd done mark. We’re also working on the load to try and keep it at an acceptable level while the restore completes.
We are continuing to monitor the server and keep the loads as low as possible. If your site isn’t working as expected, it may be due to load, but please let us know, so we can look into it for you.
As a reminder:
Due to issues with the RAID controller on the shared web server ‘scalise’, we are moving the server to new hardware. All sites and services are currently offline while we work to set up the new hardware. Once this has completed, all data will be mounted from backups while the data restores to the new hardware. We apologize for the inconvenience caused by this incident.
We will keep you updated with as much detail as we can provide, and you can also find the latest updates in your panel.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact support under Support / Contact Support, in your panel.
Please note, this is regarding the shared web server ‘scalise’ and no other services (email, MySQL) or servers are affected.
Thanks!
DreamHost

Well my sites are ALL DOWN ENTIRELY so they are wrong on that front.
They are not keeping me uptodate because that “update” is 16 hours 55 mins ago, surely in that space of time there has been some kind of development?

#DHFail

UPDATE:

I had to lol when I saw that the alert in my panel has changed to this:

“Hello,
As you should already be aware, your web server ‘scalise’ had a hardware failure and we’re in the process of moving it over to new hardware. Unfortunately, we don’t have much to report since the last update. The load has been higher than usual due to the added resources needed to copy files over to it. We were able to bring up the old hardware, but it isn’t in good enough shape to be able to serve sites again. We have switched pulling backups from the backup server and are now pulling them directly from the old server. This should speed up the time it takes for the restore to complete significantly - we’re already at the 1/3rd done mark. We’re also working on the load to try and keep it at an acceptable level while the restore completes.
We are continuing to monitor the server and keep the loads as low as possible, but there have been some periods of instability still. If your site isn’t working as expected, it may be due to load, but please let us know, so we can look into it for you.
As a reminder:
Due to issues with the RAID controller on the shared web server ‘scalise’, we are moving the server to new hardware. All sites and services are currently offline while we work to set up the new hardware. Once this has completed, all data will be mounted from backups while the data restores to the new hardware. We apologize for the inconvenience caused by this incident.
We will keep you updated with as much detail as we can provide, and you can also find the latest updates in your panel.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact support under Support / Contact Support, in your panel.
Please note, this is regarding the shared web server ‘scalise’ and no other services (email, MySQL) or servers are affected.
Thanks!
DreamHost”

So basically after almost a whole day the only additional info they can give is “Unfortunately, we don’t have much to report since the last update.” and its STILL at the 1/3rd mark, after that long? Really?

I smell that in actuality your not doing very much at all, as surely it should have got to the 1/2 mark at the very least, keeping a customer updated means just that UPDATED.
How much EXACTLY has been copied over?
How long based on the current speed these files are being copied will the transfer take?

These are simple questions that should be VERY simple to answer

#DHFail

Everything still offline in here to, this is very sady, iam losing money everyday, and dreamhost doesnot seeing to care about restoring the server.