Samba and Mac OS X

Hey all, ok I got a doosey here. I’ve set my website up to samba file sharing as per this kbase article:

https://panel.dreamhost.com/kbase/index.cgi?area=978&keyword=samba

and it worked when I tried it from work on a win2000 PC (work has a T1 internet connection through ATT)

Now, I’m home and I want it to work from here… but so far, nothing. I’m on a Max running OS X.2 (Jaguar) and I followed these directions to the letter:

https://panel.dreamhost.com/kbase/index.cgi?area=2622&keyword=samba

now, at home I have DSL through SBC… SBC told me there is nothing in their system that should disable samba file sharing, but it’s not working over here… so has anyone else tried this on a mac or with a home ISP? Please let me know, thanks!

Ok, well I talked to my IT guru friend and he suggested it might have something to do with the router I’m using (Netgear R114), which is what ardco had said as well (thanks!). So I tried it without the router and it WORKED!!!

Now, if only I could get the router to allow the connection… something about DMZ my friend has told me… again, any help would be great… otherwise FYI for other people trying this out.

The benefit of samba file sharing over FTP is that I can edit files on the fly since it looks like a mounted drive. Basically, I’m trying to create my own iDisk without having to pay Apple for it, since I already pay the lovely folks at Dreamhost for webspace.

It sounds like you need to expose your Mac directly to the Internet in order for this to work. In the sense of routers and firewalls, this is called a DMZ (demilitarized zone).

On my Linksys router’s web admin screen, there is an advanced tab that leads to a tab that says DMZ Host. From there, I can enter the private IP address of any of my computers on the LAN and have it exposed directly to the Internet. Obviously, the admin interface for your Netgear router will be different, but look for something like that in the helpfile or in the admin app.

Of course, while you leave your Mac in the DMZ, you give up a lot of the protection your router’s firewall was providing. It’s a hassle to move your Mac in and out of the DMZ, but unless you are sure you are keeping the security patches up to date and there isn’t anything on the Mac you wouldn’t mind someone else getting access to, you probably don’t want to leave it out there all the time. Of course, I suspect most people with broadband have a single computer hooked directly to their DSL or cable modem, so you won’t be the only target, by any means.