Running our own dns

My company is preparing to move over to a dedicated server on Dreamservers. We are currently running our own domain name server, which manages the many domains and sites we host for our clients. We would like to know if it is possible to do the same on Dreamservers, instead of having to use ns.newdream.net, etc…

Hi Ben -

You can actually set up a form of DNS aliasing, which allows you to use your own ‘ns.domain.com’ addresses for DNS. You don’t need to run a full DNS server on your machine for this sort of thing.

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

Jeff,

Currently, we have ns.gostrategic.com registered as a name server with Network Solutions, and we need our clients domains that are already pointed to that dns to be unchanged. Will the aliasing allow this?

That hostname doesn’t appear to actually be registered (it doesn’t show up as a glue record with the root servers, anyway). I do see a record for ns1 / ns2, which is also where this domain is pointing to, so I assume that’s what you’re talking about.

In any event, you would be able to do this, but you would need to modify the host (ie nameserver) registration entry with network solutions / verisign in order for it to work properly (we can’t do this - you’d have to do it).

The simplest thing would be for us to set things up on our side, and for you to then modify the host entry. If you can get your old provider to play along, you could get them to modify their records to point to the correct IP addresses in the couple of days before the glue records updated.

I’m not sure if there’s a fee for this service with dedicated machines… there may be a setup fee associated with this service, and the two unique IPs that will be required may come out of however many unique IPs your plan is allocated.

In any event, sales or support may be a better way to get an answer to this question – I’m the person who would most likely deal with it, so you can ask them to pass the question along to me.