Running another process on port 80

Hi,

I’d like to run a web process on port 80 so that it can be my website. In particular, I am using the Ruby Camping framework. I have it working on other ports, but I really want it to be running on my domain at 80, not on some random port.

When I try to run the process on 80, I get Permission denied - bind(2) (Errno::EACCES)

Is there anyway to do this? Perhaps by “stopping” the webserver running now?

Thanks,
Rob

Are you on a dedicated or private server?

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Private … I’m on a cheapo plan.

thanks,
Rob

I think you’ll have to contact support to get them to not startup apache on your server.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Thanks, I submitted a request. I’ll report back with how it goes.

–rob

Can’t be done. DH writes to me,

"Unfortunately your account does not allow running your own apache processes on any port, so I can not turn off the web server as you request. You will have to run your website using our provided apache services.

Furthermore it will not be possibly to run any services on a shared server, if we get notifications that you are running any services we will kill the process and potentially someone from our abuse team may be contacting you to stop."

I thought you said you were on a (virtual) private server? Instead, are you on a shared server?

That is, are you using the DreamHost-PS service?

If it’s a cheapo plan, then it’d be shared. But sometimes I shut my eyes real tight and imagine there’s nobody else on my server.

-Scott

Sorry, I read your earlier email as an XOR … and since I’m definitely not on a “dedicated”, I said “private”. Anyway, I’m on the “My Crazy Domain Insane” plan ($10/month), which I believe is a shared plan.

Ah yes, no worries. Yes, that would be a shared plan, apache runs listening to port 80 and there’s no stopping it! :slight_smile:

I happen to have a L1 plan but have signed up for DreamHost-PS. Your choice of plan is orthogonal to whether you sign up for P.S. - I guess I should call it premium rather than private since it’s not literally a VPS. Apologies for the confusion.

Anyway, since you get a dedicated IP and are running in a kernel level virtualized environment, you should be able to run a different process listening to port 80 if you can convince DreamHost to not run apache for you.