Ruby on Rails

So I just started digging into Ruby on Rails this week, and I was wondering

a) if Dreamhost supports this, and
b) how I would set this up for my website

I’m also wondering how I would connect to my MySQL database from my home computer using TOAD.

Thanks!

1. Yup! DreamHost supports RoR.

2. http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Ruby_on_Rails

digitalrundown.com
Promo Code: WJD97 - $97.00 off any new DreamHost plan (except month-month payments).

[quote]'m also wondering how I would connect to my MySQL database from my home computer using TOAD.

[/quote]

You just have to set the database user to allow access from your IP address, and you should be able to connect to your Mysql Database using the Hostname, Database name, user, and pass.

-Matttail

Don’t forget, you can also run Mysql very easily on your home computer (along with Rails) -

Thats what I do, and when I get to a release point, then I do the upload / schema change on dreamhost (as my staging, not development area).

I even run phpMyAdmin on my PC because I’m so used to that way of admining MySql.

What if I don’t have a static IP address from my ISP? I have Verizon DSL, and I believe it’s dynamic, changing every few weeks.

You could use a wild card in the permitted IP address field

so

202.151.183.%

instead of

You may get a new IP address, every few weeks but I wouldn’t think it would be assigned from to large a pool.

The downside to doing this is that you are lowering your security, now anybody else assigned in the same range could attach to your mysql db.

Cool, thanks.

I’m not too worried about security beyond my password, though, since this is a personal site with no sensitive information. I’ll just back up my data from time to time.