Ruby on Rails timing out... 500 error

software development

Hey guys, I’m getting frustrated now, so I’m wondering if you guys have this problem as well.

I’m currently working on a project in Ruby on Rails. It’s going well so far, but apparently several times a day it just decides to stop working.

Once in a while, I simply can’t start my rails app. I’ll try to view the website and it will just sit, waiting. Then after a couple minutes it’ll give me a 500 error. No dispatch.fcgi processes, no errors in my production.log file.

Any idea why? How can this be fixed? Do you guys have this problem too?

Thanks,

• Richard

Yes! I’ve been experiencing the exact same thing, and this is what I was going to post to the forum about. It seems very temperamental, some times I can connect to one page, and not others. But for about 4 days I have been experiencing some major problems with my Rails site. Today I haven’t been able to connect to my site at all. The site will try to connect for about 3 minutes and finally end in an ‘Application Error’ after having tried for so long. Nothing showing in the error logs.

Have you read through the wiki yet? There’s quite a bit in there that may help:

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Ruby_on_Rails

Also, be aware that you will be running in production mode and need to have that database configured in your database.yml file.

-Tom

-Tom Wilcoxen
convergent arts

It’s fixed now, but I’m not sure exactly what caused the site to have these problems in the first place. Looking in the logs dispatch.fcgi wasn’t being found … I tried chmoding and everything to no avail. In the end I installed a new Rails app, generated new controllers and models for all my site, then uploaded my files overtop, and it works again now.