Ruby on rails not working

my ruby on rails applications isnt working anymore. I can see in the apache error log:
/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:194:in report_activate_error': RubyGem version error: activerecord(1.13.2 not = 1.14.0) (Gem::LoadError) from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:136:inactivate’
from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:162:in activate' from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:161:ineach’
from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:161:in activate' from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:23:inrequire’
from ./…/config/boot.rb:16
from ./…/config/environment.rb:9:in require' from ./../config/environment.rb:9 from dispatch.cgi:3:inrequire’
from dispatch.cgi:3

It seems that the installed ruby on rails versions requires some upgrading…
does anyone know when it will be done in the fairfax machine?
or is there any way of using my own ror and ruby version so that I can mantain it myself?
thanks in advance

Same problem noted on ord. I’m guessing they tried to upgrade to the 1.1 and screwed it up. If anyone has a fix I’d love to hear it so I can get my site back up.

UPDATE

More people having problems at
http://blog.dreamhost.com/2006/03/28/new-rails/

Theres a fix here:
http://blog.hasmanythrough.com/articles/2006/03/28/hosts-upgrade-to-1-1-doom

But you can also specify rel_1-1-0/ if you want 1.1 installed properly. Worked for me.

Wow - this is really bad. Rails apps on DH going down all over the place.

That URL is down (prob a Rails app on DH?)

You’ll need to Install your own gems and freeze them…I’ll try to post a tutorial if I can in a few hours.

My sig is now quite ironic

Rails Hosting - DH supports Ruby on Rails!
[color=#CC0000]Tip - use the DreamHost promo code X50 to get $50 off any of their plans instantly[/color]

thanks, I could solve it applying these tips - it was a really bad day to upgrade RoR :frowning:
well, just hope the dreamhost solve the problems as soon as possible

No work around is your using basic hosting as you don’t get shell access.

I have to wait for DH to sort it, if they stay at 1.1 then I have to either wait for typo to support it or find a new host :frowning:

DH users have Shell access - and there is a workaround that I’ve used to get my app back up

http://blog.hasmanythrough.com/articles/2006/03/28/hosts-upgrade-to-1-1-doom

[color=#CC0000]Tip - use the DreamHost promo code X50 to get $50 off any of their plans instantly[/color]

was this announced anywhere? I mean what kind of hosting company just does an upgrade of critical software and doesn’t tell its rails users!! btw, rail 1.1 came out only a few days ago, are they trying to be that bleeding edge? I’ve been done since 5pm yesterday…

clueless sysadmins over there at DH

Yeah I gotta say it doesn’t matter what the reasons are for this, upgrading a system-wide tool without proper testing, AND then having it stay unresolved for almost a whole day now, that’s pretty terrible service…

yeah pretty clueless. i mean the sysadmins over at DH must feel pretty stupid… how hard is it to update rails properly. wow

this issue and the last major problem where all the sites were slow for weeks… maybe its time to switch hosting provides… DH has the worst communication out of all of them. i still really can’t believe this happened… sysadmin 101

The following work-around is working for me. forgive me if this or a better fix has been posted already.

In your rails project add the following two lines to the top of config/boot.rb

require 'rubygems’
require_gem ‘rails’, ‘1.0.0’

That has successfully put my rails 1.0 app back in operating order by ensuring that it doesn’t try to tread in the broken 1.1 install.

In slight defense of the Admins - ALL the major hosts ran into this problem today as they were upgrading - even Textdrive.

I have removed the rails folder created in the vendor directory after getting it from the svn in order to check if the update was already done, and it seems to work :slight_smile:

Sorry everyone!

In the past we have waited a week or two before upgrading Rails but we have then had to deal with a continuous stream of people sending us support requests asking us when we are going to upgrade. The general feeling we have gotten from the majority of our Ruby on Rails users is ‘give us the new stuff now!’ so that’s what we decided to do this time around. Unfortunately, the upgrade was done incompletely and broke everything. Rails is still a pretty new technology for everyone involved and we goofed.

We have now reverted all of our servers back to Ruby on Rails 1.0 and will be taking the upgrade more slowly the next time around. Even after the Rails 1.1 install was fixed we still saw broken websites (and not just Typo installs) so it seems as if the Rails developers spoke a little too soon when they said it would be an easy upgrade. It is advised that everyone freeze your sensitive applications at this version of Rails 1.0 until you can test any future Rails upgrades on your own code. We’ll be adding more information about that to wiki.dreamhost.com as well as in another blog.dreamhost.com post.

• Dallas
  • DreamHost Head Honcho/Founder

Dallas - thanks for the explanation.

One thing that would be a big help, is if you would email your users before making a major change such as this one. When I was an admin I’d email users saying “Hey, we are upgrading X this weekend, and we don’t expect any problems but please let us know if you see anything amiss”.

From the user’s perspective this is very nice, because if X suddenly breaks, they don’t waste their own time trying to troubleshoot it. Multiply that by the number of affected users, and you can see how a lot of time (and frustration) can be saved. It’s very annoying when something breaks and you spend time trying to figure out why it broke, only to find out that it was A) a problem already known by the admins, or B) a planned upgrade that went awry, but in either case nobody bothered to tell you about it.

Thanks,
Kevin

I completely agree with you about the value of telling our users about changes that affect them. That can be a great time saver for us and you.

Unfortunately we are not able to only announce changes like this one to the people it affects yet. When we make a system-wide announcement it sends an email to many thousands of people, most of whom don’t know what Ruby on Rails is or why we’re emailing them about it.\

The plan we have to resolve this issue is developing a way for you to tell us what topics you are interested in hearing about. That’s still not a great solution as it does require you to manually choose those topics, but it would be relatively easy to implement and maintain.

Note that we did announce this change on our blog at blog.dreamhost.com so it would be a good idea to subscribe to the RSS feed for that.

• Dallas
  • DreamHost Head Honcho/Founder