Ruby on Rails Newbie Question

software development

Hi guys. I’m a fairly decent php programmer switching up to Ruby on Rails here on Dreamhost. I was wondering if there are any people on this board experienced with rails to answer this simple question for me:

Basically I bnought the new book for Rails ‘Agile Web Development…’ and I’ve been following the Hello world tutorial which went off without a hitch until I actually placed the ‘hello’ method into the controller file which is called ‘say’.

You might be able to see it by going here:
http://www.demo.jimjeffers.com:3000/say/hello

The WEBrick server doesn’t stay active indefinitely however so you might not be able to see the error in that case this is what happens:

SyntaxError in #

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.0.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:189:in `load’: app/controllers/say_controller.rb:1: syntax error
class SayController < ApplicationController

def hello
end
end
^
(eval):1:in `eat_path_to_controller’
script/server:48
Show framework trace
This error occured while loading the following files:
./script/…/config/…/app/controllers/say_controller.rb

All in all, I’m sure it’s something simple becuase I don’t know what I’m doing quite yet. The tutorial said you didn’t have to do anything pertaining to routing for this app and I followed all of the other instructions. I created the controller running ‘ruby script/generate Say’ in the shell then edited the controller file accordingly and created the say.rhtml file in the views/say directory.

The error I get sayins controller not set is what confuses me most. Anyone have any advice?

Looks like you have one ‘end’ too many there.

Nope this code runs on my local machine but not the dreamhost server what gives. The first end closes the method. The second end closes the controller class.

Ah. To generate a controller use the command ‘script/generate controller controllername’. Also you shouldn’t have a say.rhtml file, but a hello.rhtml file inside the say directory under app\view.

Actually, try writing the example through SSH, instead of uploading. See if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
Ragg but no luck. I did use ‘script/generate controller Say’ to create the controller.

Also, I did name the view file hello.rhtml I made a mistake in my initial post. This code is working on my local machine. I don’t understand why it won’t work here :frowning:

I fixed it! Just needed to add --without-gems to the rails command.