Ruby on Rails 404

I’ve followed every DH-related guide to RoR deployment, and I can’t get it to work. My app runs fine locally, but all I get is an index listing when browsing “ror-app-domain.com” and a 404 error on “ror-app-domain.com/controller”. ps -A shows no processes running. Is there something I’m missing to get this thing started up?

Executing ./dispatch.fcgi results in this in the crash log:
[22/Mar/2007:15:10:16 :: 19791] Dispatcher failed to catch: private method split' called for nil:NilClass (NoMethodError) /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/cgi.rb:897:inparse’
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.2/lib/action_controller/cgi_ext/raw_post_data_fix.rb:45:in initialize_query' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/cgi.rb:2274:ininitialize’
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/fcgi.rb:594:in new' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/fcgi.rb:594:ineach_cgi’
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.2/lib/fcgi_handler.rb:141:in process_each_request!' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.2/lib/fcgi_handler.rb:55:inprocess!’
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.2/lib/fcgi_handler.rb:25:in `process!'
dispatch.fcgi:26
killed by this error

I can run the app by starting WEBrick.

what is the listing of? make sure the domain manager is pointing to the public folder of your rails app, not the app’s root folder

I finally got the app to run by using the .htaccess file I stumbled upon here: http://johnnunemaker.stikipad.com/jn/show/Rails+on+Dreamhost.

The listing is as follows:

AddHandler fastcgi-script .fcgi
AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
Options +FollowSymLinks +ExecCGI
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^$ index.html [QSA]
RewriteRule ^([^.]+)$ $1.html [QSA]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ dispatch.fcgi [QSA,L]
ErrorDocument 500 /500.html

-Ryan