Rsync backup

apps

Hi,

I’m trying to backup some files from my windows xp computer to my dreamhost account. I’ve seen some posts in this discussion forum that suggest it is possible, but I’m clueless as to how to configure rsync on either end. I’ve got cygwin up and running, I’ve got putty, and I’ve used them before. I’m not too good figuring out command line stuff on my own though–if I could see an example then I’d have no problem copying it. I’m just not sure what to do where–do i need to make text files that sit on the server? Or on my computer? How do I craft the rsync command line? Any help in this direction would be great! Thanks!

Have you tried looking at the manpage of the rsync command? Go to the shell of cygwin or ssh to DH, type “man rsync” - there is really good help there. Alternatively, you could google for the same, for most commands it’s somewhere online as well.

When I rsync my files I use “rsync -rvlp --progress source user@server:/dir/on/server” . Sometimes I add --address=192.168.x.x if I want to bind to a specific address, because my home computer has multiple network cards on different connections.

Also, add -z if you want to compress the files on-the-fly first to save bandwidth. And finally, if you want to test what’s going to be transfered without it actually doing it, add -n.

Hope it helps. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Forgot to say, you don’t need to configure anything, just run the command from your home computer and watch the files go!