RSS Help


With my last host i had no problems with my RSS aggregator. I’ve tried tweaking with the site since i moved to Dreamhost to get it to work, with no luck. It includes correctly, just the script is giving me an error. i’m using lastRSS.php which caches the feed.

Do you think that may be the issue? I have a few sites that depend on RSS feeds… Any help would be greatly appreciated!

This is similar to my code:

The site


It seems the problem is with the include still. So i’m pretty SOL if i cant include an xml file from another account or even site… right?


RSS feeds from XML files work just fine on Dreamhost. I am using the feed component for Joomla, and have no problems. Your problem is occurring because of the aggregator you’re trying to use.

Get($rss_url) Load and parse RSS file $rss_url (e.g. “”)

This tool tries to syndicate content from a site, that doesn’t actually provide you with a true RSS link. It’s designed to execute the remote page based on passed attributes, strip out all formatting, and provide you with a handy array of data elements for convenient use by you.

Accessing your lastRSS file via a url style reference, rather than local file path, could be causing the issue. How do you do the actual reference? Is your code a lot different than what is on the lastRSS site?


I am interested in this subject, so I have been researching some. This post is simply intended to mention that I don’t know what I’m talking about yet, specifically for lastRSS. Once I learn more about possible solutions, I’ll share the findings here. lastRSS gives control unlike the simple Joomla RSS tool.


My code is very similar. Just have a some CSS references (which couldnt cause the problem). What were you talking about when referencing url style? has the code similar to the example code on lastRSS’s site. It has to be some problem with the get() function. i’ve tried creating $rss_url and just using the rss url without the variables, no luck.

Any help would be grand.


Anyone else have a problem similar to this?


I just ended up going with magpie, ive used it in the past… I’m using feed2js. to include the feed via javascript. its pretty nifty.


lastRSS retrieves data for the URL using php fopen(). As this did does not seem to work with dreamhost, we used the php cURL functions. The Parse() function in lastRSS (version 0.9.1) was modified as follows and this works for us. See also:

function Parse ($rss_url) {

// Open and load RSS file
$rss_content = ‘’;
$ch = curl_init();
$timeout = 5; // set to zero for no timeout
curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_URL, $rss_url);
curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1);
curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_CONNECTTIMEOUT, $timeout);
$rss_content = curl_exec($ch);
$curl_error = curl_error($ch);

#if ($f = @fopen($rss_url, ‘r’)) {
if ($curl_error==’’) {

#while (!feof($f)) {

$rss_content .= fgets($f, 4096);