Router Down after Creation

dreamcompute

I deleted and recreated a router, and it currently appears to be in a down state(multiple days after building completed). Besides setting the gateway and creating interfaces for the network, are there any additional steps to complete to bring the router online? Thanks!

Deleting a router isn’t something that typically needs to be done. My advice for when you have network issues is to contact our support team as it isn’t likely to be resolved by deleting and creating a new one. The reason for that is we’re not using the typical Neutron router setup. Instead, we’re using our own called Akanda - https://akanda.io

Here’s a brief overview: Each tenant/project/customer gets a virtual machine created for them and it’s configured as a router for their traffic. It’s not a VM that you have access to, instead it’s a “service” VM. It has connections to your private network and the Internet, very similar to your router at home. Trying to delete/create the router from within the DreamCompute Dashboard isn’t fully tied into the Akanda router, so it usually just puts the router in an error state. We’re still working on changing this so it functions more like a “standard” router according to OpenStack networking. In the meantime, if you’ve got an issue with your router, contact support!

Thank you for the response justinlund. That makes perfect sense on the cause, and I put in a support ticket to resolve the issue.

The reason I originally deleted the router was that I was attempting to add additional subnets to my private network. When I added an interface to connect to the additional subnet, the interface was in a down state. From you explanation, would I be correct in assuming I would need to submit a trouble ticket to add interfaces to a router as well?

That’s correct. Right now we have a limitation of one network and two subnets for tenants. Submit a support request and we can usually get another setup for you fairly quickly.

Hohoho…we get TWO subnets now? How generous :slight_smile:

Hehe, well right now they’re created for you by default. The “private-network” includes two subnets - the one for IPv4 and the one for IPv6. We’re hoping to be able to allow multiple networks later this year.