RoR upgrade broke my site

Dreamhost updated the version of Ruby on Rails on my server and it broke my site! I’m an amateur developer, so I’m not sure why my site is broken–the error it kept giving me was “Rails application failed to start properly”. Can anyone tell me why my site won’t load and what I might be able to do to fix it? Thanks so much!

There will be more information about what’s going wrong in either the Apache (or mongrel, if you’re using that) log or in your rails logs. Could you look in either of those places and post what you find?

Also, you can try to find the error by starting your application via script/server and seeing what errors are outputted there.

What Rails version is required in config/environment.rb ? If it’s lower than 2.1.0 then it’s because Dreamhost removed it:

%> gem list rails

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

rails (2.2.2, 2.1.1, 2.1.0)

You can try to freeze the old Rails version into your app. The problem with that is that you need rake for this, and rake needs the Rails version that is required in environment.rb. For a workaround see here:
http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/2009/01/05/hooray-another-rails-upgrade/comment-page-1/#comment-229398
(It’s a solution for Redmine but it should work for any app.)

Of course if you’re adventurous and keen to keep up with the modern times, you could also try to upgrade your app to a more recent Rails version. There’s a lot of good stuff in newer versions of Rails, but they’re not 100% backwards compatible. Just change the Rails version in environment.rb to any of the versions installed on Dreamhost (see above, maybe start with the lowest) and look for errors and deprecation warnings in the Rails log.

I am having the same problem.

How do I receive notification of old RoR versions being removed so that I can avoid this problem in the future?